Wednesday, October 06, 2021

Time Stories Revolution: A Midsummer's Night (No SPoilers)

Anyone out there a fan of Shakespeare? I'm not. But I still loved this expansion. 

I imagine someone who does, will LOVE this game. Even if they've never played Time Stories before. I also bet they made a lot of references to the situations and characters of his plays that flew right over the heads of my group. (who also don't care for Shakespeare) 

This is one of the few expansions that take you to "AT" or Alternate Time. Something we haven't seen since "Prophecy of Dragons" and like that game this was open world. 

The game uses "mcguffins" throughout the entire run that for us, didn't come unraveled until the very end because we didn't realize we had the items needed to trigger each card in our collection. 

For example say, one card says "You need the Golden Apple (Item 7) to get Item 18" And when you get Item 18, it turns out to be another item you next to get Item 42 and so on and so on. 

We thought we were stuck at the end because we'd been everywhere. That's when I realized someone in my group didn't realize he had the item we needed to start the chain of events. When we discovered that, the game ended in under a minute of fast and new found information coming in one after the other. 

I'm sure that's not how it was supposed to go but for us it was a lot of fun. Like previous expansions of the game, I'd play this one again in a heartbeat. Maybe next time we'll have someone who like Shakespeare enough to geek out and show us all the connections to his works within the game. 

I should also mention the twist at the end was incredible. I loved it. And even rewards the player playing the "meta story" BIG TIME at the end. 

But I'll talk more about that tomorrow. Overall, this expansion was another hit for the series!


 

No comments: