Friday, November 09, 2018

NOT Top 100 Vintage Games

Last month I wrapped up giving my Top 100 Vintage Games of all time. But after filming it I realized I forgot to add a few games to the list, which changed a few things. So I wanted to get it straight again here.

But first I wanted to talk about the NEW ones that just missed out!

 Key to the Kingdom

Terribly boring game. But I was shown some new rules someone made for the game, so the next time I play it (shiver) I'll try them out and see if that improves this game. It looks nice and has a neat mechanic in the "unfolding" board, but the game play is as drab as they come.

However, if these rules improve the game, I can easily see it entering my list next year.
 Super Powers

Beautiful looking game. You can play as Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman or Green Lantern! The villains are the Penguin, Joker, Brainiac and Lex Luthor. The figures are excellent! The 3D buildings you move along are fantastic.....and the game is pure kryptonite! This is another one I'd love to find/make alternative rules for. Because if I found something that worked, this game would SOAR on my list!
 Hangman

Fun game but it's just hangman....without the pencil and paper. I don't think it'll ever hit my top 100.
 
 Jetsons

This is one of Megan's game I considered bringing into the Top 100 this year but it fell short due to the fact that towards the end of the game, it drags...bad. Besides taking the "Rosie/Reshuffle" card out of the deck towards the end, I don't know what else would help the game. Doubtful it'll ever reach into my Top 100.

 Quicksand

Another game I love the concept of but just like quicksand, the game moves slowly. I lot of ways to fall backwards and slow forward moving combines for a game that's not quick enough to enjoy. Sadly, I don't see a scenerio where this one makes it on to my list ever either.

 Carrier Strike

It dropped from my list this year and I'm not sure it'll ever return. 2 player games don't get played as much but combined with the fickle way you move the carriers, I don't think this is a game that'll find it's way back on the list ever again.

 I Dream of Jeanie

Another one of Megan's games I considered entering into my Top 100 this year. Basically, roll-move-locate game, with a few spots on the board that allow you special movement. "A" for effort from a game that came out in the 60's but not good enough to make it on to my list.

 Battleship

It made the list last year but fell off even though it's come out to the table this year. Problem is, I didn't get to play it. It has a chance of making it back to the list, if I get to play it next year. Just looking at this pic makes me want to play it again.

 Fat Chance

It WAS on my list this year, but after seeing I skipped 3 games, I'm not removing it being just outside the Top 100. That being sad, there's always a chance for it to make it back on. I love the look and principle of the game and if the scale worked, I'd love it even more. For now, it sits on the outside looking in.

 Shake Bingo

Another game that originally made my list that now has fallen out. Nothing but nostalgia  was keeping this one afloat anyway. Simple game that I'm not sure will be on my list going forward since it's two players and doesn't offer that much.

Chipmunks (Pop-a-matic)

A game I loved in my youth that now sucks in comparisons with my memories of it. This'll never make my list. It may never be played again unless my kids want to play it, which even at that point I'm not sure I'd want to put them through the torture of it.

Ok folks, next week I'll count down my newer list of Top 100 yet this time with predictions on where they'll be on the list next year!

Have a good weekend!

No comments: