Thursday, November 01, 2018

BBC The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe (Review)

Last month I re-watched the old BBC version of the movie.

This was the movie we grew up watching as kids. Though it has animated creatures and adults walking around in silly beaver and wolf costumes, I was surprised how well it held up. The children's performances aren't bad and the White Witch is pretty friggin fantastic! Much better job than the Disney version actress who portrayed it.

I'm a fan of "simple" movie effects these days. I find them both charming and nostalgic. For a BBC feature that came out in 1988, this was incredibly done on what little budget they were provided. When you put it all into perspective you really won't believe how well they pulled it off overall.

And (of course) it stays more true to the books than the Disney versions ever did, which it nice. Thinking of watching or re-watching this one? I say "Go for it!"



No comments: