Monday, January 06, 2020

The power of persuation



I read an article about persuasion and how to be persuasive. I found it interesting and wanted to share  few highlights with you for the 2020 season in case you want to be more persuasive with others in your personal growth!

1) Build Credibility

A reason people see me as an "authority" in the Star Wars Expanded Universe is because I think I've shown through my many reviews (and defense of the EU) that I know what I'm talking about. I also think that credibility has persuaded people to love and hate some of the same stories I do. Not bragging, just an observation I've noticed on my Youtube channel.

2) Find Common Ground

I've always stood by this when at odds with anyone. If you find common ground between you and the other person, it's the beginning of a working relationship. This has helped me a lot at work.

3) Provide Supporting Information

NEVER make things up. Back up your comments with facts and numbers. Again on my YouTube channel I wanted to show people I wasn't just making things up. I pointed to all my references and never embellished on the truth on any of them. This is very important to who I am. I never want to appear dishonest or untruthful to someone. If that happens, I've lost that persons respect which is hard to get back over time.

4) Understand Human Emotion

People don't react the same way to things as you do. Keep that in mind and you'll have better insight at how others perceive the world.  Believe me, it's a whole lot more important than you think.


No comments: