Tuesday, January 07, 2020

Building Credibility

Yesterday I spoke about persuasion and one of the first things I listed was "Building Credibility"

From another article I read, I'd like to share with you today, tips for how to build credibility with those around you.

1) Respect

Kee Kames once said "Give trust to get trust" Well the same can be said about respect. Be respectful to those around you and the same will reciprocate back to you.

2) Research

Again, back up what you have to say with facts. Making baseless comments or accusations with no real proof undercuts your credibility to all around you.

3) Knowledge

Know your topic. Not just the highlights but the details as well. A lack of knowledge from a subject you claim to know doesn't look good any way you slice it.

4) Credentials

Do you have them? What's your profession? Your hobby? And how long have you been doing it? All these lead to credibility in the eyes of others.

5) Endorsements

At work, I received an endorsement from my boss's boss's Boss. It was such a huge endorsement, that I've been granted full authority over my site at work. I'm the only one in my position who's not a VP. Kind of proud of that though I'd love to have the title one day.

6) Admit Flaws

If you screw up or get something wrong, admit it. Fess up. Don't make excuses and don't shift the conversation to avoid admitting it. Also admit when you're weak on a subject. I've never been afraid or embarrassed to say I don't know something. I've been in my job for over 10 years and still ask questions all the time. I never pretend to know something I don't or shift blame when I'm proven wrong.

Do this and your credibility among others will soar!

No comments: