Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Best opening scenes in a movie

Keeping with our "movie" theme this week I'd like to present the best opening 10 minutes of any film. Here's my top 5 in no order:

 Meet Joe Black

You meet Brad Pitts character, you think it's going to be another cheesy romance and BAM he's hit by a car in the first 10 minutes of the film! Perfect use of CGI, amazing punch t the gut of the audience and.... turn the movie off because there's nothing good to see afterwards.
 Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Forget the lousy "build up" for a zombie movie, let's send the world to hell in under 10 minutes and get straight to he action!

LOVED IT. This was one movie I w's dragged to the theaters to see because I didn't think it'd be ay good. 7 minutes into the film I would have wet my pants right there in the seat than miss a minute of the action.

 I saw the 1st 10 minutes of this film and when the boy wakes up (in his imagination) talking to William Shatner about what he should do about a bully in his school... well I can't quote what was said, but after that scene I turned to my roommate and said "No matter how bad this movie ends up to be, I'm going to buy it for that scene right there."

Thankfully the movie's a gem too so it turned out not so bad.

 Raiders of the Lost Ark

If you want to argue about my others movies, fine. But if you try telling me that the first 10 minutes of this film ISN'T the best?! I will come to your house and personally slap you sideways.

No one can deny that the opening scene isn't THE BEST opening scene in movie history. Spielberg at his best!

Way of the Gun

The opening scene has NOTHING to do with the film yet after seeing it, I turned off my TV, drove back to Blockbuster, bought a copy there, then came back home to watch the rest of the movie.

No lie.

I don't want to ruin this one for you if you haven't watched it but they get into a fight against impossible odds and do the only thing they can think of before the inevitable beat down begins. Warning: There's a lot of language in the opening scene, but after that there's not so much.

My DVD copy's still on my shelf just waiting for me to pop it in for the first 5 minutes of fun.

That's my Top 5. What's yours?

No comments: