Monday, July 14, 2014

Best Movie Twists

Don't you love a "twist" at the end of a movie? So do I! So I made a list of what I think the best are. ALL SPOILERS from here on out so if you haven't seen the movie but would like to, I recommend to watch the movie before reading this post.
 
 
 Primal Fear

This was one of the first movies I watched that had a "twist". Brilliantly written we find out that the killer doesn't have a duel personality but was faking it all along. And when they drop a clue to the audience, it's nothing but 15 seconds of your mouth hanging open before the lead character figures it out too. Amazing.

This movie is what made me an Edward Norton fan. I've seen all of his movies since. But the best ending to all of them was this one.
 6th Sense

This one had everyone talking. Finding out the Bruce Willis was a ghost this whole time, THEN going back and watching it again, you want to kick yourself saying "Why didn't I see this all along!?"

A great movie when you can watch it twice and see things differently the 2nd time through.

 Buried

When this came out, I didn't think much of it. The show's shot in a coffin. That's it. But the tension and drama they built around it was great. Of course, this whole time when you think help is on the way (if he can only hold out long enough) yet when it arrives..... it's in the wrong place. Leaving the character to realize, he's not making it out alive.

Chilling with a twist don't you think?

 Fight Club

Awesome more that could have been good without the twist, but aren't you glad they did it anyway? To fin out the whole time that he IS Tyler was just incredible. I love this movie for way more than the twist, but it made for a good ending too.

Ed Norton wins again!

 The Descent

Watching this, I loved it from the start. A wonderful horror film that went the extra mile and took a twist at the end. The scene where she escapes the cave? Didn't happen. It was all in her mind. She's trapped and those creatures are coming after her.

Wow.

The sequel was just as good. I just wish more people wanted to watch this with me! (I'm surrounded by horror sissies)

 Momento

Another one I believe everyone's seen already. They way this movie was shown, from the last scene to the first (where the killer is reveled at the "beginning" ) was a brilliant way to tell a story. The guy investing who killed his wife can't even remember it was himself who did it. And the fact that he doesn't want to remember is priceless to the end!

I'm glad no one tried to copy this format. I think they all knew they'd fall short of this classic.

 Seven

It's been a while but if you remember the killer's ultimate motive was to express the 7 deadly sins making himself and the detective (Brad Pitt) the final 2 victims of the example, you remember why you loved this movie so much.

I saw this in the theaters all those years ago and need to watch it again. Kevin Spacey was unbelievable in the film!

 Arlington Road

The good guy loses. The bomb explodes. He dies and the bad guys get away with it. You're so stunned with the ending of this film you didn't know if you should be mad or not for the way it ended. I for one wasn't.

The twist hits you like a hammer because it was playing out like every other great 90's action movie did at the time. The good guy was going to stop the bomb, save the day and go home. You KNEW that would happen and the writers did too. Hence the twist.

And also the reason it's still in our minds today.

 The Vanishing

I've seen this movie 3 times and even though I know the twist, I never get tired of seeing it. When Kiefer's character realizes the girl he's been searching for for years was buried alive? Powerful, powerful stuff my friend!

If you ever watch it again, you'll notice how you wish it would end differently the next time around. And because of that, it makes this twist into a classic movie.

The Usual Suspects

C'mon, you knew I was going to name this one right? Everyone knows how this ends and if you haven't seen it, I'm not going to tell you how. Watch.it. It's THAT good.

Fun fact: The movie was filmed in 2 weeks and yet the production on this masterpiece doesn't seem rushed. They pulled together a great cast, told a phenomenal story and every movie buff has a copy of the DVD sitting in their collection to this day.

Now that's talent!

That's my 10. What's yours?

No comments: