Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Sports stories (5)


 My last entry for this series happened back when I was 12 and Dad entered me and Jeremy into a flag football league for youth. Our town was so little that there was only enough kids to form 2 teams. 

At first Jeremy and I were separated. But after Dad alerted them of the issue they asked us which team we wanted to be placed on. I wanted my team because I could tell it was WAY better than the other. 

But we ended up on the team of losers and lost EVERY game that season....bad. 

But one game in particular was a highlight for the season for me when I ball got tipped up in the air while I was playing defense and I caught it in the middle of the opposing team. No one seemed to understand it was an interception but me. 

Scared to death I told the other players I was going to give the ball to the ref. I just needed an excuse to pass through them. When I made it through I broke out into a run before they knew what had happened. The other coach was yelling at his team to get me and I ran for my life as they chased me down the field. 

I scored a touchdown and my whole body was shaking afterwards from the fear of being tackled by someone. 

Funny thing was, my coach never saw the play until after the season ended. At a year end party at his house he was watching film from the games and called me into the room. 

"Matt" he said "Did you know you intercepted a ball and ran it in for a touchdown?!"

"Yes" I replied. "You didn't?"

Guess that shows how memorable my performance was for the season.   

No comments: