Thursday, May 27, 2021

NLU Stories (11)

One of the classes I took for my "Health and Human Performance" credits was karate. 

I was the only guy in the class. 

So when our first test came, it was a tournament. I was squared off against a girl. Because I wouldn't hit her back, I lost. The teacher understood the dilemma and moved me to his actually school karate team. 

There I was able to spare off with other boys on the team. It was fun. 
 

The team went on that year to win the championship that year. When the local school newspaper came in to do a piece on them during the next practice after their win, I was there with them. I didn't pose with them for the team photo since I wasn't part of the team but I did take a quick picture with a buddy of mine from the team holding the trophy. It was him and I putting up a fist with each of us holding half of the trophy with our other hand. It was meant to be a personal photo for me. 

But the newspaper saw it, loved it. Took a picture of it also....and decided to make that pic the cover of the story. 

I was told by the teacher that it may be best to finish the semester away from the team (some of whom I heard were livid with me over it) 

I ended the class, not even taking a final but receiving an "A" none the less. 

No comments: