Thursday, May 06, 2021

Sports stories (1)

 Today I thought I'd start a short series to talk about some of my pathetic attempts at sports over the years for you to enjoy....and laugh at me for. 

The first one goes back to college when I joined an intramural team. 

In high school, I was pretty good. Dad taught us to use the backboard to hit our shots and we played a lot of HORSE, so we could pretty much hit from anywhere on the court. I was tall, so lay ups and blocks were simple too. At summer camp, my teams did pretty good. I scored the most points and even got picked #1 in their "all-star" game at the end of the week. 

Then I went to college for 3 years without shooting a single ball. 

When I signed up for the team I was in my senior year and felt like it'd be something fun to do before I left. I remember telling my entire team about my high school stats and that if they wanted to win, just hand the ball to me and it'd be a sure score every time. 

Karma ensured I was setting myself up for the worst fail imaginable. 

We lost. Bad. And I played....horrible. Missing every shot and shooting airballs a couple of those times too. I looked (and felt) like a jackass. 

I apologized to the team and volunteered to leave. No one stopped me. 

Last year I played with a few highschoolers and was happy to see me dominate them like the old days....until the first 5 minutes, then I was gassed, out of breath and unable to continue the rest of the game. 

Yep...the magic's never coming back to me again. 


No comments: