Tuesday, May 18, 2021

NLU Stories (4)


 Continuing on with stories from my freshman year I was in an Speech 101 class where we had to deliver a speech about our childhood growing up. 

The girl who went before me told a said story about  being raised by her grandmother and divorced parents. I went up right after her and said I was more fortunate not to be raised in an unfunctional family.

The girl took offense by this comment (though none was intended) and the teacher gave me an F. 

I then was given the chance to do an apology speech the next class to get an A for my first speech. 

So I got up and apologized. The girl stood up and said "THANK YOU. Because I was happy growing up with my grandmother and my parents were happy living apart from eachother!!"

Being a little hostel at me, ruffled my feathers so I responded. "So if  you lived with your grandmother and your parents lived in different towns....that's not really the definition of a functional family wouldn't you agree?"

I was told by the teacher to sit down and had an F to start the semester off with. 

It was a great year. 

No comments: