Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Top 5 Star Wars children's books

I've been keeping my focus on adult books, why not give the children's books some love and talk about them as well. Here's my Top 5 most enjoyable series!

#5 Jedi Prince Series

 
Guilty little pleasure here but this is still one of my favorites. One of the first books to be printed (it came out during Zhan's books) this series has gone largely ignored because of it's "cheap" Sci-Fi story that feels like something written right out of the Marvel comics.

But I ate it up! As a kid, this and the Thrawn trilogy was all they had so I accepted this story as full fledged cannon. Following Ken (the emperor's bastard grandson) this series took a walk on the wild side with a few other story plots. Darth Vader's glove, lost Jedi Cities and even a few prophets of the Dark Side.

Made for a wild tale and even has an engaged Han and Leia which would make it fit perfectly in between the final 2 chapters of "Courtship of Princess Leia" No other authors has picked up story plot from this series but as some of you know it's where my Star Wars short story came from, because I've always wanted to know what happened to my favorite characters from this series.

And now my fiction is just as non-canon as the rest of this stuff so I guess I could call it even!

#4 The Adventures of Teebo

 
A surprising book from the 80's makes it to the list, with this rare gem I fond a few years back when I was collecting all the Ewoks books. This puppy is DARK for a children's book and I was surprised by it's depth. Though not many pages, it's written in small print, which will take longer than you think to read through. Why do I call it dark? In the book, Duloks capture, skin and eat ewoks, then (as the dulok is cornered on a cliff by the ewoks) the wind gods push him off a climb were he plummets to his death and is splattered against the rocks. I'm not making that up.

#3 Jedi Apprentice series

Big fan of the first children's series to come out after Episode 1 exploring the past of Obi Wan and Qui Gon Jinn and their adventures together before the film. A wonderful story line handled by Jude Watson and Dave Wolverton which really added that extra element of characters from the film. Even it's sequel series "Jedi Quest" wasn't as bad since it harkened back to it's parent series on more than one occasion.

#2 Galaxy of Fear

Inspired by the, then popular, Goosebumps series, this children horror tales did an amazing job tying in several EU story plots from other books without alerting the average reader they were doing so. In fact, it could be argued that Death Troopers spawned from the book above.

A great series that was a joy to read back in the day.

#1 Young Jedi Knights

C'mon, if you knew anything about children's books, you knew this one was topping the list. The series even went up in value when the New Jedi Order books came out and started using it's stories as part of main story arc. It made all the cheesy moment in these books way more incredible. Haven't re-read them in years but looking forward to it one day when I eventually do.

That's all for today folks!

No comments: