Monday, June 30, 2014

Field of Dreams

A few weeks ago, Megan and I drove out to the country to visit a friend and we saw a corn field. I kiddingly asked her if there was a baseball field in the middle of it, who she'd want to see coming out from the stalks to play.

Then I started to ask myself the same question! So here's my 9 players I'd love to see come out of the corn field to play baseball with. (in no particular order)

 Keith Hernández
My childhood hero and still one of my favorite players to play the game. The old Mets first baseman would be a welcome site to my field!

 Davey Johnson

The Mets Manager during their 86' World Series, he also managed the Nationals until last year. Unknown to most it was him AND Billy Bean that who changed the game with their "statistics" reading. Billy Bean got a movie and all of the credit. But true fans know who his team mate was on the A's when they were both ball players, discovering that formula together for the first time.

It's what made Davey a great Manager in the first place! I'd love to pick his brain in my Field of Dreams.
 Frank Thomas

Not only is this newly elected Hall of Farmer leaving the game, going down as the "Big Hurt" but he's also an Auburn Alumni and general good guy.

In fact, when first elected he received a call from the President but didn't recognize who he was at first! When they asked him to "hold for the President" he asked "the President of what?"

Hilarious. And a must-have for my field.
 Ken Griffey Jr

C'mon! I can't have one and not the other can I? The 2 biggest names in baseball at one time, was Frank Thomas and Ken Griffey Jr. A known "gentlemen" of the game, Griffey made sure his retirement announcement was "low key" so I not to steal the spotlight from anything else happening in the game.

I my opinion, that's well deserving to play on my field!

 Mike Piazza

Another one of the all time greats and one of my favorite players ever. The best catcher in the history of the game, has a spot on my field!


 Dale Murphy

The Murph himself would pop out the corn stalks if I had a field. He may not have made it into the Hall of Fame, but he was always one of the Greats to me! This man carried the Braves through their worst seasons. I think he'd gladly accept the offer to play.

 Mookie Wilson

You knew my roster would be chalk full of Mets right? Mookie's no different. Great all around ball player, who helped us win a ring in 86'.

First thing I'd say when he hit the field is "Throw it to me Mooooookie!"


 Nolan Ryan

I think the Ryan Express would be on everyone's list and he should. The best pitcher in all of baseball would walk on to my field and never leave! That's how much this game meant to him, To hit some pitches of Nolan would be the highlight of the evening!


Cal Ripken Jr

If it's going to be game time, then you gotta have the Iron Man on the field. Baltimore's finest would be a welcome edition to my other 8 players.

That's my 9. What's yours?

No comments: