Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Top 20 Best Star Wars EU books

I've always wanted to go back and add 10 more books to my "Top" Star Wars list, so here's #11-#20

#20 Courtship of Princess Leia

Dave Wolverton's only adult novel he did for the series I don't know why because this was a pretty good book.

One of the first few to hit the market after Zahn, this book had good humor and a wonderful story line to keep things moving. It introduced the Witches of Doathamir, which have become very big in the Star Wars EU.

Most memorable scenes is Han cooking breakfast for Leia and 3PO trying to "help" him out on his quest to woo the princess. Outright GOLD!

#19 Darth Plagues


 One of the "newer" books on my list, but boy does it deserve this ranking. Taking place right before the events of Episode 1 this book gives you a whole new perspective on what's going on behind the scenes. An excellent book to read before watching Phantom Menace. This is one of James Lucero's best!

#18 Darksaber

Kevin J Anderson joins the list once again with this beauty. The first time I ever gasped out loud while reading a book. Mr Anderson became the first person to kill off a character from the movies. Crix Madine met his fate at the hands of a Butt just before seeing the Calvary arrive too late to save him. Needless to say, I was shocked. Another great story from a great author!

#17 Fate of the Jedi

Though the weakest of the NJO period, that doesn't mean it wasn't good. I loved this series which placed Luke at the center of a political incident that ended up banishing him from the Republic. Though Luke had this as part of his plan all along.

He and Ben scour the galaxy and the authors did an amazing job connecting SO many other media tie-ins to this series. West End Games Role Playing books, comics and even an episode from the Clone Wars, all tied in to this masterfully written story. Some day when I meet Troy Denning I'll have to shake his hand to thank him for another well written story arc.

#16 Death Troopers

When I hear they were making this book, I got excited. When I saw the cover I freaked out. And when I read it.... it easily became one of the best Star Wars books ever. A true horror story in space, it's a shame they ever tried to "explain" it in the sequel/prequel "Red Harvest" because this book on it's own is good enough!

Some of the best scenes is the descriptions of staggering zombie stormtroopers who wander aimlessly around a ghost ship. (not to mention the guest star appearance from Han and Cherie, which added some welcomed humor into the book)

#15 Bounty Hunter Wars

Boba Fett? Bounty Hunters? What's more to say? Jeter does an excellent job giving you just enough Fett, an interesting story line involving the guild and adding a few other favorite bounty hunters from the films. This book had it all!

Oddly enough these were the only novels to focus on Fett, though I'm not sure why. Perhaps too much of a good thing? Oh well, guess we'll never know!

#14 Dark Nest Trilogy


This "buffer" series between the New Jedi Order and Legacy of the Jedi, showed us some amazing revelations. Jacen's growing strength n the Force, the creepy fate of Raynar (who would later be an interesting character in the Fate of the Jedi story arc) and a nice "breather" in between 2 of the greatest stories the EU would ever put out.

The perfect series at the perfect time.

#13 Black Fleet Crisis

As I start to write about this book I already feel it may deserve a higher ranking. One of the few books to focus a story line on Lando and that alone makes it one of the best Bantam Books put out. I actually got to speak to the author years ago. Michael's an awesome guy who ended up giving me his personal Omnibus copy of his books from his very own collection!

It was my first autographed book and still means so much to me to this day. By the way, it also feature Lobos as a moan character which no other book has used since! If that doesn't get you interested I don't know what will!

#12 Star Wars Tales

The brain child of Kevin J Anderson and handled by not only himself, but other great authors as well, this trilogy of tales told us the stories from aliens in the cantina, the Bounty Hunter's fates from Empire and the characters from Jabba's palace.

Each tale was phenomenal and interlaced with other stories as well A brilliant concept that paid off big time in my opinion. I had a hard time keeping this one out of the Top 10 and wouldn't need much convincing to put it back in. It's just that good.

#11 Kenobi

Rounding up the Top 20 is this gem that came out only last year. I've already written my review so I won't say much more about it, but giving it that "ole west" setting won me over completely.

A fine read to be sure.

K, that's all for today folks!

No comments: