Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Top 100 Board Games 2017: 20-11

20) Splendor

At #21 the year before this one seems to hover around the same mark. The expansion was good enough to keep it high around the list. There's an awful lot of competition from the list below so I'm going to predict this one drops a few due to that.

19) Food Chain Magnate

This one is moving up the list. Every time I play it I love it more.Enough to get into my Top 10? Maybe not, but surely enough to rise higher on my list at the end of the year.

18) Las Vegas

Awesome dice rolling game that's quick easy and extremely fun to play. But I think it's a little too simple and that reason may lead to a slight fall from my Top 20 list.

17) Livingstone

This game has it all! push your luck, area control and dice drafting all in one! But again, there's a lot of games below knocking on the door that may jump and bump this game out of my Top 20 for this year. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what they are!

16) Thrash N Roll

The expansion for this really needs to come out this year. It was delayed last year and now doesn't look to be coming out at all. Taylor Games is one of the worst publishers in the hobby and they're the ones who have the rights. Without the expansion, this'll drop out of my Top 20 for sure in 2018.

15) Long Shot

One of Megan's favorite games in my collection. We played it all the time in 2017. But late in the year it hasn't come out much at all. I'm afraid it may slip a spot or two on the list but remain in my Top 20 all the same.

14) Stockpile

As long as I keep playing this game it'll have a home in my Top 20. Great mechanics and so enjoyable to play. This game is a solid lock in my Top 20 for the next list.

13) Star Wars: Queen's Gambit

This game fights hard to be in my Top 10 every year. (was #12 last time) My gaming group ADORES it and I love it as well. Incredible to think that a game from 1999 is still holding it's own on the list. I predict it may rise again but come up short of my Top 10 (again). 

12) Descent

My nephews LOVE this game but late this year I saw a little fatigue start to set in when I brought it for Christmas to not as enthusiastic cheers as was when I brought it out for Thanksgiving a month before. This one will drop a few spots because I think it's only coming to the beach next time so I can make room for other games they want to play on the holidays instead. And if it only comes out once, it should still be good enough to stay in my Top 20.

11) Space Hulk

My goal is to finish the campaign in the book this year. Unlike Descent's thousand available scenarios, this game has a limited amount. I don't know how the story ends, but I'm determined to see it by the end of the year. I don't think this'll return to the Top 10 but I also think it's going to stay on my Top 20 for now.

One more to go folks! See you then!





No comments: