Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Top 100 Board Games 2017: 10-1

One last list to review folks, let's do this!!

10) Catan

This one slowly sinks down my list every year about 2 spots. I think that trend is going to continue this year only because other games keep getting better as I play them. Though even in 2018 this game is still getting request to come back to the table. My gaming group are HUGE Catan fans and so am I. I'll probably even break down and get the Seafarers expansion "Legend of the Sea Robbers" even though no one is talking about it online so it mustn't be that good. But everyone in my gaming group said they're up for playing all the scenarios with me if I get it. Who knows!? It could perhaps stop the slide of this game from my list. But again, I'm calling this to be a Top 20 by the end of the year.

9) Orleans

Bag building excellence. This game is trending to be a solid main stay on my Top 10, especially if I'm able to break out enough expansions of it with my group. I even have all the mini expansions for this one, so that should tell you how much I love it.

8) Fresco

My favorite one from Queen Games. I love all the expansions for it and enjoy it every time I bring it to the table! I know I've already spoken about game trying to get in to the Top 10 and for that to happen would mean some of these would have to drop out. Fresco may be one, only if it doesn't get played as much as the others. But no doubt in my mind that this is one beauty of a game that I loved from the very first play!

7) Viticulture

With several ways to win this wine making game, an MUST expansion to add and metal coins, I can't see this one budging at all from the list. Top 10 certified for 2018!

6) Grand Austria Hotel

This is where I'm going to start calling things "solid" from now on. I can't see this one moving anywhere but #6 for the next list. I'm on the cusp of even pimping the game out with special token made for the game. Something I don't do much for the games I like!

5) Firefly

Back when I was making the list in October, I felt this game was losing its luster and would fall even more in 2018. Then December came and I've been playing it ever since. After its all said and done, I remembered why it's a solid #5 now on my list going forward.

4) Project Elite

Being #4 back to back on the list tells me this game isn't going anywhere soon. The only coop game that my group LOVES. Megan does as well, which is why it's not moving from it's current spot.

3) Spartacus

Every yer this game surprises me. Moving up once again from #5 to #3 I think it's gone as high as it can and it keeps delivering surprises! Recently played this game again! (3rd time in under 4 weeks) and I love it a little more with each play. But to climb higher would be an upset that even the Bringer of Rain would find over-matched for.

2) Twilight Imperium

Most people only get to play this once every few years. The lucky ones play it every year but me? I play it 4 times a year and that's without even pushing it on my group. I'm super thankful to have so many folks who love this game as much as I do. And with TI4 out, I think it's going to remain #2 for a long time to come.

1) Strat-o-matic Baseball

It's been #1 ever since the creation of the list. I don't think it's moving either. I've loved this game ever since I was a kid and no matter how good all the others are on my list, I can't see a single one of them beating this one.

Guess by the end of the year, we're going to see....

Remember, for a full review of the games listed be sure to check out my YouTube channel's playlist.

Have a good one folks!



No comments: