Tuesday, January 23, 2018

2018 Hall of Fame Ballot

The Hall of Fame is about to be announced tomorrow so I wanted to review the Top 10 prospects plus any newcomers to the list:

Trevor Hoffman

Should he be in? Yes.
Will he get in? Yes

It's almost a lock at this point. After barely missing the vote last year I think Hoffman will finally get a much deserved nod to go to Cooperstown this year.

Vladimir Guerrero

Should he get in? Yes
Will he get in? Yes

Another player who barely missed out last year will also get the nod to the Hall with Hoffman. My Dad actually saw him in an elevator once during his travels and said he was a pretty big dude! I think he also deserves it as well.


Edgar Martinez

Should he get in? No
Will he get in? No

I'm not on the Martinez band wagon because the dude was a DH and even though he was good at hitting he was never good enough to play a position. I'm passing on him and I think the voters will too.

Roger Clemons

Should he get in? Never
Will he get in? No

I hate Clemons. I cheating punk with a bad attitude. No way cheaters should be allowed in the Hall no matter what they did early in their career. If we're upholding the baseball ban on Pete Rose for gambling then I think we should stick to the same principles here.

Barry Bonds

Should he get in? Never
Will he get in? No

Cheaters ever should win. Though it worries me that both he and Clemons have been gathering steam over the past few years. Hopefully that trend stops in 2018.

Mike Mussina

Should he get in? Um....no?
Will he get in? No

I have nothing against the guy and admit he put up some good numbers but whether they're Hall worthy is another story. I'm going to pass on Mike for now, but if he ever got in, I don't think I'd mind.

Curt Schilling

Should he get in?Yes
Will he get in? No

I hate the Red Sox. Especially the year they won for the first time in like, forever. But I have to tip my hat to Schilling for being a big part of that happening. The man was incredible and posted such an amazing career. It's too bad people judge him on his post-career antics instead of what he did on the field.

Manny Rameriz

Should he get in? Never
Will he get in? No

Steroids is the word for the day boys and girls and Manny was a repeat offender. No way they should let this guy in. Let "Manny be Manny" and Manny, forever outside, looking in.

Larry Walker

Should he be in? Um,....yes?
Will he be in? No

Another player I'm split over. Again like Mussina his numbers are there but I don't think there's enough steam to get him in. Great ball player, I think he'll miss out.

Fred McGriff

Should he get in? Yes
Will he get in? No

One of only 2 people to ever win MVP of the Year in both National and American Leagues? Add that to his outstanding career and I'm slightly confused as to why he's not pulling in the votes over someone like Martinez! The Crime Dog was a beast back in the day that voters seem to have forgotten, let's hope with the new arrival of another Braves player, voters will wake up and see Fred as the enormous asset he was to the sport.

 Chipper Jones

Should he get in? Yes
Will he get in?Yes

1st time on the ballot, Larry is a slam dunk for the Hall. As a Mets fan we have a love/hate relationship with this guy but even New York gave him a rare warm goodbye in his final season, proving that whether you love him or hate him, everyone admits he's a first class ball player.

 Johan Santana

Should he get in? (In my humble Mets fan opinion) Yes
Will he get in? Never

I love this guy but his numbers aren't stronger than many others already in the running so the odds are stacked against Santana. His No-Hitter for the Mets was the highlight of his career but sadly, not even close to being enough to get him into the Hall.

 Gary Sheffield

Should he get in? Yes
Will he get in? No

An amazing player who hardly struck out. He was also in contention for the Triple Crown award for a couple of seasons, he was THAT good. So why is he now trending at the bottom of the polls?! You got me. The man deserves a trip to Cooperstown. I hope his numbers increase dramatically in 2018.


Jim Thome

Should he get in? Yes
Will he get in? Yes

That's right! I'm calling 4 players get in to the Hall this year. I was never a Thome fan myself but there's no denying how good he was in the sport. I think he and Chipper will be the only first timers getting in.

Guess we'll have to wait and see tomorrow what happens....I can't wait and see!









No comments: