Thursday, January 18, 2018

Top 100 Board Games 2017: 100-91

Just like before, now that my video series has ended on YouTube, I'd like to talk a little more about my list for 2017 and make predictions on how the games will fare at the end of 2018. For a full description and opinion of these games please check out the playlist on my channel.

Let's start with the Runners up!


102 and 101) Timber Tom and Banana Party

For Timber Tom, it's never going to happen. As much as I enjoy the game, the fact that it doesn't provide enough trees to play the game is a production malfunction I can't ignore. So it'll never make it into my top 100 though it'll always be in my collection.

As for Banana Party, it barely missed out making my list and I'm afraid now it doesn't stand a chance. With new games coming in and my nephews getting older, I'm afraid this fun kids game may not make it ever. Still a good game though!

100) Stargate SG-1

This one hung in from last year on the list (93) but I think this'll be it's final run. The only reason it hung on this year was I moved 80 games to my "Vintage" list and even after that, the game still fell 7 spots. It'll gain more life in 2019 when it becomes eligible for my "vintage game" list. But I think this is the final time I'll see it on my Top 100. Thankfully it'll still be played by my SG-1 group who loves the show.

99) Road Hog

Almost didn't make the list this year and though I'd play it again I doubt it'll be on my list at the end of the year.

98) Kemble's Cascade

Oh how the mighty have fallen! This game was #35 last year and now it's barely hanging on to the list in 2017. New games are going to push this one out due to the unexplainable time it takes to finish a game.

97) Santorini

The ONLY abstract game to make my collection. Though it barely made the list this year I'm not sure if it'll hold on for 2018. I play this game with my nephews only, who love it. Other than that, I don't play it at all. With newer games coming in (3 so far) I'm pretty sure this'll be its only appearance on my list.

96) Rush N Crush

My heart weighs heavy on seeing this go. But as I said earlier, I already have 3 new games in my collection and many more to come. This bodes poorly on a great racing game that just doesn't get to the table as much as I want it to. It was #59 in my collection when I first got it, I'll keep it in my collection, even though I think it's seen its last time on my list.

95) Inkognito

Believe it or not, I love this game. But the constant errors we have EVERY time we play it drives it to the bottom and maybe off my list. I'm not giving up on this game though. I plan to play it again and if we can avoid rules mistake (of having to show a "truth" card in every hand) than it has a chance to hang in there. Beautiful board and pieces, no plans on letting this game go regardless.

94) Sharkmania

On this one I seriously have no idea. It gets played a lot with my game group and on family vacations. Not much to the game but it's a fast fun filler game that I can't ignore. With a few games moving off the list and a few others joining the "vintage" list for next year it has a chance of hanging in there though it will certainly move to the bottom.

93) Machi Koro

Another great game that has a chance of staying on my next list because it's super fun to play and all I really need to do is get it to the table more. I think it will go down but not fall completely off my list.

92) Here Kitty Kitty

Great game. But it's going to have to fight to stay on the list for next year. I wish I could play it more. I never thought I'd enjoy it as much as I have and I'll be sad if it indeed does fall off.

91) Road Kill Rally

The thing about being on the bottom is it's hard to stay on the list for the next year. Though this is a hilarious racing game I just can't get it to the table as much as I want to. It may drop off completely depending on how many new games join my ranks.













No comments: