Wednesday, March 20, 2019

X-Force Review



In my final un-read comic book box was X-Force. I didn't read much of it back in the day because I wasn't a fan of Cable and if you weren't a fan of Cable before this comic isn't going to make you like him either.

Liefield's art is good but the story is HORRIBLE! I was more and more bored with it as issues went on. No wonder this didn't sell well for Marvel back in the "X" heyday.

The Good

Like I said, the art went from great to good to ok, to crap. It's like each new artist tried to underwhelm you more than the previous one did. It was done right garbage until slightly before "the end" of the original run.

Their were some story lines I remember reading as a kid. "Executioner's  Song" and "The Phalanx Legacy" but these X-Force stories appear to be the lamest issues in the crossover events.

It was fun to see familiar characters my little brothers played with as action figures from back in the day! Looking at them from the pages I remember each character looking exactly like they did from the comic. That little bit of nostalgia was fun.

They made an issue (early in the run) that you read completely horizontal, that I thought was a very unique and creative way of doing things. The story sucked but the idea I don't think I've ever seen done before.

I also liked how early issues had a red arrow to guide you to what panel you should read next when they all lay jumbled on the page. Constantly I read panels out of order these days because I have no idea which panel the artist wants me to read next, this method was well appreciated, yet sadly didn't make the stories any less crap.

The Bad

There's too much to talk about here. The stories (as I've mentioned) are horrible and, at time, make no sense. The characters are boring, you care NOTHING about a single one the entire series. NOT A ONE!

The artwork got worse over time (again something I've mentioned before) and the series even acknowledges that everyone on the team is less talented that the other "X" teams in Xavior's X-men. It's mentioned several times how they are constantly left out of crossover stories such as "House of M" and "Onslaught" only to take a back seat in dealing with an issue that will bore the reader to tears.

In one episode I character is said to have "received a promotion" to another "X" team and is no longer "playing in the minors" With that sort of talk, it's no wonder the series was junk. No one seemed to care about.

That was until issue 116.

To be continued...

No comments: