Sunday, January 14, 2024

TI4 1st game of 2024 recap


 We had such an epic game yesterday I thought I'd talk about it a bit. 

First off, I was teaching newbies so I'll be honest, I was expecting an easy win.

I didn't get that. These kids caught on fast and gave me a run for my money!

I played as the Winnu, not my favorite race, but since we pick at random I did the best with what I had and that meant trying out a whole new strategy for me....sitting on Mecotal Rex the entire game. Something I NEVER even attempt to do in regular games. But I played to their strength and it was keeping my in the lead.

However when a huge armada invaded my home planet I was unable to score public objectives anymore and had to rely on a secret mission and using the 8 card to score my Rex point. I wasn't going to win that way and I knew it. 

Suddenly, luck would shine on me as my next two action cards I received in the game were "Plague" and "Rout"

With "Plague" I was able to take out the ground troops on my planet and with "Rout" I forced a retreat of the other player to the next space. 

Fearing retribution I sat there hoping he wouldn't because I knew there was no way I could beat his massive fleet. And had this been any other game but Twilight Imperium, I would've lost. Because in TI people can easily lose direction of what the main objective is, which prevents them from thinking straight. And that's what happened when instead of re-taking my home planet he went after Rex instead. 

I wanted to cede the planet over to him I was so overjoyed, but I had to play it cool like he'd gotten me. The entire group cheered as my fleet was quickly demolished. High fives were given around the table as they all thought they'd stop me but in reality, only I knew it was the last round of the game from there on out. 

I used 8 to grab my 1st objective and at the end of the Status Phase, claimed my 2nd objective for the win. I'd had both completed for some time but without a home planet, couldn't claim them. 

I went ahead and showed them their mistake the next day. 

I know the time is ticking on my undefeated streak. In fact, I'm not sure I'll win the next one. But I'm not going to back down from playing either because all good things must come to an end and when it happens for me, I'll gladly shake the person's hand who won. 

It's a great game. 

No comments: