Monday, September 27, 2021

Tips for TI4: The Mentak Coalition


 One of the coolest races I've yet to play with. 

In battle your cruisers act like Destroyers and get "first attack". But the coolest ability they possess is that they're pirates. And any neighbor who accumulates more than 3 trade during card #5's action, you can steal one trade from each player. 

I love that. Very thematic. Every time I see people play as them they ALWAYS forget to do this. Just recently, the player playing as them didn't remember to do this and I always felt like it was detrimental to your game. 

Their Commander is powerful in that every time you win a battle the loser MUST give you a promissory note. Their Hero allows you (for one combat) to replace any players ship (you destroy) with one of your own, anywhere else on the board. Pretty cool. 

I find this race intriguing because they have so much opportunity to shake things up during the game. They feel like the Barony of Letniv but a little more devious. I would always use their pirating ability and unlock my Commander as quick as I could so as to collect those wonderful Promissory Notes. Attacking the same player again and again would be brutal because it would only force them to continue to give you more and more powerful notes you can take advantage of in the future. 

Like true pirates, you would prey on the weaker smaller armies across the board and THAT is why this is the perfect game because it forces you to stick with the theme of your race. 

Have I mentioned already how much I love this game?  

No comments: