Monday, October 08, 2018

Scariest Moments (3)

Burning Dozer

When I graduated High School, Dad told me it was college or off to learn a trade. I chose the latter and went to work that summer for a Land Surveyor in town.

The job contained long hours, hard work and hot weather. Not fun. One such job however had a customer loan us a little bulldozer to push our way through the underbrush. We were rolling through the forest until the dozer caught fire and we had to bail. We waited a few minutes to see it hit the gas tank. After 20 minutes my boss told me we couldn't wait any longer and I had to go back over to the bulldozer to get a measurement before we moved on to the next job.

I thought he was kidding but soon realized he wasn't. I went over to the burning wreckage scared to death it would blow at any minute. It took them longer to establish the shot because I kept shaking while holding the reflector. Finally they got the shot and I went running back....right before the gas tank blew.

To be honest, it was only a little flame and not what you'd see in the movies, so I doubt I would've been injured but even the thought of being so close to it scared me enough to join college that fall.

No comments: