Thursday, October 18, 2018

Scariest Moments (11)

Busted

As a kid my brothers and I used to write letters to our cousin. They were chalked for of insults, curse words and roasts for just about anything concerning him. They were all in jest and my cousin always returned them with the same R rated flare as before.

The end of each letter always read the same: "BURN THIS LETTER"

We always followed through with our end of the deal, burning each letter quietly in our back yard and scattering the ashes. Our cousin however....did not.

So eventually his Mom came across the letters while cleaning his room and our next trip down to see him ended up with the door to his room shutting as our Uncle revealed the letters.

We were busted.

The first few minutes were the most frightful. All I could think about was my Uncle delivering the letters to our Mom and that being the end of our childhood.

Instead, my Uncle gave us a lesson and how you speak and the words you use and how we should be more aware of the impact they have on others. He knew the letters were in jest but taught me one of the most important lessons I had as a kid about using words responsibly.

A lesson that's still stuck with me today.

But oh man, if my Mom would've found out.....I may not be here today.

No comments: