Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation

Just finished watching the live action Turtles show that ran from 1997-1998. I was in college when it came out and didn't care for it's childish script but watching it now I have to say it's enjoyable (yet I couldn't suggest anyone watch it)

If you're a BIG turtle fan, this show is fun. It only went 2 seasons and follows the story from the movies. Though the Shredder is hardly in it and it's made for small kids, I still laughed once at each episode.

What changed from the movies first off, was the costumes. It bothered me when I was younger but now I don't mind. Each turtle has a shoulder strap with a letter corresponding to their name. Their mask are each different and their weapons too.

Leo carries one sword, Raph's Sia can attach to make one weapon, Donnie's bo staff is metal and Mikey NEVER uses nun-chucks because they are outlawed in the UK where this was shown. He just has them strapped to his belt the whole time.

It runs a lot like Mighty Morphin Power Rangers in that it's mostly dubbed, with goofy sounds thrown in during fight scenes, which make watching it slightly annoying.

Fun fact, they were actually owned by the same company who produced MMPR and even had crossover episodes with the Turtles in Season 2. (both episodes are an added bonus feature in the DVD) Even though it was with the "Space Rangers" it was still a fun show to watch. Maybe my favorite of the whole set.

The biggest disappointed is the addition of Venus De-milo, who a lot of fans still hate to this day. She's a dumb character and I think they knew that after season one because she takes a back seat in a lot of the story lines for season two.

Overall, this show made me miss the movies... which has now got me thinking that now that I've watched this "sequel" series to the 3rd movie, I should watch the movies backwards. That way in the end I can leave on a high note.

Did anyone else watch this series as a kid? What did you think? Or did you even know they made such a show? Megan had no clue when I showed her and was interested until the 2nd episode, when she realized how kiddy the story lines were.

Oh well, NINJA POWER!!

No comments: