Monday, May 01, 2017

Top 5 Hobbies

Happy May Day! Let's talk about Hobbies. Everyone has one. Here's my Top 5!

5) Beanie Babies (Bears)

It sounds silly and it's not serious, but I do collect these furballs whenever I come across I different one during any Flea Market or Antique Mall trips. I don't have to collect them all, in fact it's been a while since I've come across one I don't have! But it is a minor hobby of mine I do enjoy.

I used to sell these suckers back in the day for boo-koo money! Now the highest I pay for them is $3. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

4) Drawing

Another hobby I don't do much anymore but it's still something I enjoy. (this is a generic internet picture by the way) I was never any good at it but really enjoyed telling the story and did it for 20 years until I finally reached issue #1000 and quit.

I have to be honest though...I've slowly been coming around to picking it back up again. Remember, this blog started off as a way for me to post comic strips on everyday. Maybe, just maybe we'll see that again in the future...

3) Writing

Holy cow am I enjoying this. I never liked writing papers back in college and for the longest never really liked it at all. But I read a lot which means I've always dreamed about writing my own fiction. I got to write for a Star Wars Expanded Universe book of essays. That was fun. I've even written several dinner theatre scripts. I've written 3 more so far this year!

It's not only a hobby that makes me a little money but is also incredibly awesome to enjoy.

2) Reading

This is not my bookshelf....but I wish it was. I LOVE to read! I always have as long as I can remember. And the bigger the book the better!! I love re-reading my collection too! These days, I can read a 300 page novel in two days. It's a fairly cheap hobby to have as well because second hand copies of most books sell for cheap!

Not much into reading digitally or by audio book (which isn't reading at all) But I will on occasion get something online if that's the only way I can read it.

1) Board games

Anyone who knows me now already knew this. (generic photo used above) Since Disney did away with the Expanded Universe, it's opened the doors for a new hobby to come in. I LOVE playing board games now. More than ever! If I don't play another video game for the rest of my life I think I'll be ok. Board games have made that much of an impact on me.

I barely had 100 last year (counting Megan's games) but this year I safely have 100 on my own. No, I'm not trying to be that guy who has 1000 games in his room. but I'm definitely happen with the collection I have today.

That's my Top 5. What's yours?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Some good hobbies Matt! I enjoyed your early comic strips!

5. Collecting & listening to old and new records
4. Art. Drawing/painting/sculpting
3. Meeting new people and having a conversation while breaking bread together.
2. Reading. Reading. And more reading.
1. Learning. Absorbing as much information about this amazing world of ours and everyone in it!

kidcardco said...

Great hobbies Anthony! Next time I'm in Phoenix we've got to meet up!