Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Worst board gamer traits

Getting more and more excited as I get ready to attend BGG Spring Con this year, so today I thought I'd do another list of three traits I hate seeing in a fellow gamer.

1) Cheating

This one will get you kicked out of the group. Thankfully, we have people who don't do it but I've been places where there was an obvious cheater at the table who whenever they were got played it off as an innocent mistake.

Gaming at my house is for fun. Sure we all wish to win at it, but at the end of the night, I'm just happy we played and had fun. Cheaters ruin everything! I've even seen others cheating when instructing newbies on a game! This has happened twice to me and it boggles my mind on why you would cheat to win against someone who's never played the game before?! Wild.

2) Analysis Paralysis

I actually have 1 or 2 in my group that I dread inviting because they're guaranteed to take longer on their turn than all other players combined. In fact, I proved that exact point when I allowed the next person to do their turn while the other contemplated his options. The game looped back to him right after he'd made his last move from the round before.

Now I understand anyone who's new at a game may take some time getting used to the game play the first time around but it's always the same with these folks. I still love'em so it's not enough to keep them off the invite list, just an added bonus when I see them failing at the faster-paced games that give them less time to think.

3) The Unlearned

Whenever I bring up a new game I make sure to review the base rules with everyone first and suggestive strategies for the game after informing them of the end goal, cards, etc involved in the game that could help them out. And I always have one guy who never pays attention when I do it.

He talks, gets up to grab something to drink, talks or plays on his phone. Then when game time happens he's constantly complaining that he doesn't understand what he needs to do. While it's clear everyone else (who followed along in the tutorial) is.

He interrupts the game with questions that were covered in the beginning and blames others for not explaining the rules as reason for his loss. He's getting closer to being uninvited from board game night because he's a drag on game night and I'm tired of him never listening when I explain the rules.

So there you have it! My worst type of gamers!

 

No comments: