Monday, December 19, 2016

Top 100 Board Games 2016 (90-81)

#90 Pie Face

I debated on whether or not this even qualifies for a board game but in the end decided it did and even gave it a generous ranking for my first ever list. My nephews LOVE this game. In fact, its the favorite of my youngest nephew. He ask for it all the time.

All you do in the game is put whipped cream on the end of this hand, spin the wheel and turn the handle that many times to see if you set it off! Simple yet extremely fun. I've brought this game to work (they loved it) and got in trouble for not bringing it to our family vacation. So whoever or wherever, it's a game everyone can enjoy.

2017 Prediction: Hard to tell. Since it gets requested for office parties and family vacations I think it'll still make this list around this ranking again next year.  

 #89 Connect Four

The next classic board game to make my list, I loved this game as a kid and still love it today. I rarely lose at it which makes it a little more special for me (of course) Picked up a newer copy of the game and was glad to know it hasn't changed one bit in 30 plus years!

2017 Prediction: Though lower, I bet it'll still be on my list for next year. 

#88 Feudal

The first board game from 3M games I ever bought. It plays like chess but with different movments for the pieces. It's play on a pegged board with peg figures you can move around. It's meant to look like a book when stored on the shelf which just makes it all the more cooler. I love chess, so it wasn't hard to add this to my list as well!

2017 Prediction: Unfortunately, this 2 player game may not see the light of day next year and if that's the case, it could fall from my list completely, but we'll see!
 
#87 Castle Panic

This was a game I received for Xmas. It's a coop game where you have to defend the castle from the evil hordes of the enemy. The rules are simple and the gameplay it there. They have expansions for it but I only have the base game. My nephews love it and after sitting in a closet for over a year, I finally brought it out earlier this year with them and we loved it.

2017 Prediction: This game may take the biggest hit on my list next year. Maybe even fall completely out. That doesn't mean it's a bad game, I just have several other coop games that are better. But we'll see how this one fares next year.

#86 Conspiracy

This spy game has no dice, no cards, only pawns....and is surprisingly fun to play! Everyone controls all the spies and are trying to bring a top secret briefcase to their headquarters. It's a four-way tug-of-war that's tons of fun. I found this game cheap while working in Phoenix. So glad I got it.

2017 Prediction: This game will suffer because not many people in my game group will like it I think. Simple mechanics yet not much in the "excitement" factor. It will drive the rank lower next year but not enough to move off my list completely.  

#85 Dragon Strike

So many times in the past I've been on and off about whether I should buy this game or not. But after getting it for a steal last month in a bundle on Ebay I'm happy I did! You're running around a dragon's cave, collecting crystals and trying to steal the dragon's eggs. There's a mechanical dragon in the center of the board who swings around knocking off your jewels, forcing you to go back around again.

2017 Prediction: Not a strong enough game to stay this high in the rankings but still a fun game!

#84 Mr Creepy Tomb of Doom

To be honest, I didn't know what to think about this game when it came in with the same Ebay bundle as Dragon Strike. I'd never heard of it and it's a very simple game where you play multiple mini-games to get the chance to find the ket to open the treasure chest.

But this game surprised me as being more than meets the eye and made my list at a respectful ranking!

2017 Prediction: Though it may slip a little in the numbers next year, the game is in demand enough from my nephews to keep it on the list. 

#83 Polar Dare

Found this game at an antique mall while shopping with Megan. I'd never heard of it before then and just had to try it. You're penguins trying to get across icebergs and avoiding the polar bear, which sends you back to start.

The figures are excellent quality. Well worth the purchase!

2017 Prediction: Although it may slip on the rankings, it'll still be on the list for next year.  

#82 Trump

In this game, you're going around the board putting money into something I like to call "cash coffins" and blind bidding on them later. The player with the most money at the end of the game...gets to be president.

Ha! Ok, made that last part up but that being said this was a surprisingly fun game. Hopefully the "presidential edition" will come out next year.

2017 Prediction: Since the election, this has been getting a lot of plays. Though I'm not sure if it'll climb it's a good enough game to hold its rank.
 
#81 Dungeon Dice

Bought this game at the Fanboy Expo in Knoxville, TN. The lady gave me it for cheap. In this dice game, you're rolling for a chance to lay down your dungeon cards to try to escape. But watch out! Roll too many "guard" symbols and you go back to the beginning.

I love dice games and though this isn't the best in my collection, it's still a fun one to play.

2017 Prediction: I'm finding out how much a love board games, but this one is my least favorite of my collection. That said, I think it'll hold its own but not go any higher on the list. 

 
 
 
 

No comments: