Friday, December 23, 2016

Top 100 Board Games 2016 (10-1)

#10 Formula D

A solid racing game, I've had it in my collection for years. Having several expansion tracks that come out over the years keeps this game from getting old! It was one of the first games I got when getting into the hobby and it still gets played today which says a lot!

2017 Prediction: It'll be a hard fight to stay in the top 10 but if it hits the table enough next year, it'll continue to clinch a spot. 

#9 Zombies!!!

My gateway game from Twilight Creations. After 14 expansions it's still going strong with several different ways to play. When I first played this game years ago I fell in love with the hobby instantly. And when the box came in the mail with all the expansions...still one of the best memories I've ever had!

2017 Prediction: This game slowly drops every year thru no fault of its own. The company is in disarray and the production quality in the expansions over the years has been lackluster. My hope is to see it in the top 10 again next year but this star may fade a little come 2017.
 
#8 Catan

2nd only to Monopoly in sales, Catan has made a name in paving the way for new comers to learn about board games. I played this one years ago myself before I was big into them and thought it was so-so. Then last year someone brought it over to the house and I played it again and didn't know what on earth I was thinking the first time. I now have all 4 base expansions and play it every chance I get. Just recently wrapped up a 4 weekend gaming session where we played each one back to back. Cant wait to do it again!!

2017 Prediction: Forget about it! This game is going to be a solid lock in my top 10 again next year I just know it.

#7 Space Hulk

It's basically the movie Aliens without the copyright. You play as space marines, docking on to a derelict ship, infested with aliens. Everything about this game is fun and yes it's another 2-player game that beats the odds.

Gamers Workshop makes nice pieces and this game is harped as one of their best by everyone and I have to agree.

2017 Prediction: Hard to say any game is "going up" from this point forward but I wouldn't be surprised if it did go up a notch in next years list.

#6 Descent

When I first played this dungeon crawl game my first year at GenCon I was a little bummed out because the guy who was playing the Overlord was caught cheating. But when I found someone selling their entire collection of this massive expanding game, I couldn't resist and bought the entire set for less than half of the cost.

I LOVE DESCENT. The figures are of the highest quality and for both vacation and Thanksgiving break this year, this is all my nephew, brother and I played. There are so many scenarios, I doubt I'll ever make it thru them all but it's a wonderful game none the less.

2017 Prediction: I don't see this one budging though I was going back and forth between Space Hulk for #6, so we'll see what happens next time. 

#5 Spartacus

I held off buying this game for so long but after watching the series on Netflix, I broke down and bought it. And every time I've played it, this game move farther up on my list. In this game you play a Roman elite, scheming against other houses, outbidding them in the market and finally, besting them in the Gladiator ring while places bets on the side to ensure your victory. This is a solid game put forth by Gale Force Nine which doesn't require you to know anything about the show to enjoy it.

I'm introducing this to all my friends and they love it too. SUPER AWESOME game!

2017 Prediction: Has it stopped growing or will it move up even more?! I'm not sure but wouldn't be surprised if it did. 

#4 Project Elite

The best game I played at GenCon this year. It happens in real time, meaning you have 2 minutes per round to throw dice and complete objectives as fast as you can before time's up. The missions, the characters, the aliens are all wonderful and to top it all off, this is Megan's favorite game as well, which is always an added bonus!

2017 Prediction: I could never see this falling out of the Top 5. It's a solid game, though from what I've been reading online, the company has treated it's customers poorly, which is never a good sign.
 

#3 Firefly

The best game put out by Gale Force Nine. Pick up and delivery game that leaves you never wanting to stop! At GenCon I spoke to the president of the company and he let me in on what plans they have for this game next year and though I'm not allowed to say....if this is true, this game will be even better than before!

This is the game I've used to break the "same old game" mentality within my group, who are now open to all new games instead of ones we've already been playing for years.This also was the game the convinced me to broaden my horizons when it comes to board games and I can't thank it enough!

2017 Prediction: It'll remain #3 for next time. 

#2 Twilight Imperium

Nothing beats the experience this game gives you once it's over. I've had the pleasure of playing it once this year already, with another date coming up next week. The game takes 4 to 6 hours to play and is worth every minute of it. Played it at GenCon each year I was there. The 2nd time was with a copy of my own.

This is what other board games strive to become but will always come up short!

2017 Prediction: #2. This game is above all others....except one....

#1 Strat-o-matic Baseball

I've been playing this ever since I was a kid and every year since I've played out an entire season from teams I made up using all my friends. I love baseball and this game IS baseball in a box. It's the perfect solo game for me to play when I'm all by myself. Love it so much that I plan out entire seasons that play over 7 months of the year! And in the "off season" I'm constantly making trades, "recruiting" new players (people I've met) into the league and analyzing the next season in my head when walking the neighborhood or exercising at the gym. 

I know. Something's wrong with me. but I can't help it! It's too good of a game to pass up!

2017 Prediction: Going nowhere. Staying #1

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I want in this strat-o-matic game. Bring it on.
-Matt

kidcardco said...

Lol. How am I just seeing this?