Friday, December 09, 2016

End of an Era

16 year ago I re-started the Santa Bowl. I tradition from the mid-80's that went 4 years before coming to a halt.

In 2000, while cleaning out my mom's cabinets I found the trophy. Since Xmas was the next week, I didn't hold a Bowl game but the very next year I put one together.

It's always been adults vs youth but back then (due to ages) 18-13 was considered the age for the youth and 19 and up was adults.

The next year the youth age jumped to 22-14 and would continue to go up (by minimum and maximum) until it finally settled to 26-17. In those years the Adults would dominate the series. Winning all by three contest. The Youth really fought hard and came close on several occasions and the 2014 Santa Bowl was super close.

Last year I was on a business trip to Phoenix for most of December and didn't have time to plan so I left it up to the others....they didn't do a thing.

And for the first time in 14 years, there was no Santa Bowl. Everyone thought it was a fluke that wouldn't happen this year since I was in but I knew that it was the end. Once you stop a tradition its incredibly hard to start back up.

We had little interest in re-starting it this year. There simply isn't enough youth to form a team. I'm not saying it'll never come back but I know it won't be back for a while.

Sad end to such a legendary era.

No comments: