Thursday, December 22, 2016

Top 100 Board Game 2016 (40-31)





#40 It from the Pit

Another great game from Milton Bradley's "adventure" line. You're traveling around a pit trying to get to a treasure before the mechanical monster in the center drags you into the murky depths of the pit.

All of my nephews love this game. I have to admit, when I first bought this game last year in Knoxville at a Comic Con, I wondered if it was worth it. It so is. I love this game. Really fast, really fun and it works for all ages! This game's come out at my gaming group and they've enjoyed it as well.

2017 Prediction: Solid game. Don't see it moving anywhere for next year. 




#39 Omega Virus

This electronic vintage game from 1986 has you playing as four astronauts trying to eradicate a virus that has taken over a space station and threatens to use it to destroy earth! The game not only keeps up with where you are on the board but tells you who's turn it is!

I'm enthralled by the ingenuity designed in this game when I first played it. If I had this as a kid, I never would've turned on my Nintendo! Pawns are beautiful and you even get a drone to help assist you in your mission that you can move around the board as game. Awesome game!

2017 Prediction: It's going to be hard to move this lower down the list. If I get it to the table a few more time next year it could even move up!




#38 Star Wars Duels

A battle game featuring great figures from both trilogies making for a delightful time! Nephews love it and so do I. Not worth the enormous prices you see it going for online but still a good game.

2017 Prediction: This game ain't going anywhere but up depending on how many plays it gets in the future. Simple to understand, this game has provided hours of entertainment for me so far. 




#37 Star Trek

I'm not the biggest Trekkie but I do enjoy the series. That why I was so delighted to find this game last summer at Knoxville's Comic Con. You play as the enterprise (one of four) going on missions, discovering new worlds, encountering new life forms and bodly going where no man has gone before.

Megan loves this game which is just an extra bonus. It's easy to play and captures the theme of the TV show surprisingly well!

2017 Prediction: Another hard one to call. If it doesn't get as much play time at the table it'll drop a few but not much. 




#36 Sons of Anarchy

Gale Force Nine is rapidly becoming one of my favorite publishers. This is the first game I'm mentioning of theirs on my list. This game is similar to the TV show where you're getting guns, contraband and money all the while trying to be the "club" with the most money at the end of the game.

An under-rated game by most gamers but extremely fun to play. You don't need to watch the show to enjoy this game. It's good on its own. 

2017 Prediction: Megan loves the TV show but hasn't played the game yet with me. If she likes it too, it will for sure move up on my list. I'm totally cheering for this game to move up on my list though. Gale Force Nine is one of the best companies out there!




#35 The Battle at Kemble's Cascade  

This board game is like playing an old arcade game where you battle alien ships out in space until you get to the end and battle a "big boss". Zman had a good idea and made a very fun game. Though I haven't shown it to all in my gaming group yet I hope to by next year.

2017 Prediction: If my friends like it, it'll hold it's rank. If not...it'll sink a bit.




#34 Mr President  

My favorite 3M game where you run against another player for President of the United States. Each player takes turns putting ballots in the box. At the end of the game, tally up the votes and start bragging about how you're going to make America great again!

Book shelf games at its best!

2017 Prediction: It may have been the elections but this game really impressed me this year. I played it a lot. If that tradition doesn't continue in to next year this one could fall a few spots but not much!




#33 Go for Broke

Start with a million dollars and try to be the first player to lose it all, through the stock market, gambling and horse races. Makes you feel like you're living the movie "Brewster's Millions" Lovely game!

2017 Prediction: This one will probably stay in the 30's for next year. 




#32 DarkWorld   

Mattel knocked one out of the park with this one. It's a dungeon crawl game made for kids that works beautifully. One person plays the bad guys as the others are heroes trying to defeat him. The pieces in this game are high quality. The board game looks like a playset rather than a game. It has 2 expansions which can be combined with the base game for one super game that I can't wait to play sometime!

Forget using cards as weapons, this game uses real ones you can put into the hands of your figure! And REAL chests to discover them in! Everything about this game is top notch and one of the many reasons I love it.

2017 Prediction: Though I love it, it's hard to get to the table. Lots of set up time, which hurts the game. Due to that it may drop in rank a little next year but we'll see.  




#31 Fireball Island

My grail game. Played it all the time as a kid and love it just as much today. Your adventurer climbs a mountain, grabs the jewels and high tails it to the boats. But he has to stop others from stealing the gem from him as well as dodge fireballs coming from the island.

Popular game that sells for big bucks online these days. Thankfully, I got it before it got big. Even bought some different color gems for the game to spice things up in the gameplay. My favorite vintage game out there!

2017 Prediction: I was sad to see it fall out of my top 30 (which is where I had it earlier this year) but I doub't it'll drop much further than this. Such a great game!!

No comments: