Friday, December 23, 2016

Top 100 Board Games 2016 (20-11)

#20 Niagara

My only entry from Rio Granda Games on my list and it's a shame because I really like this company. But in this game you're paddling up and down a river collecting each gem to win the game. Simple to learn incredibly fun to play. The board is laid over the game box and even "falls off" just like a waterfall. Clear plastic slides move down an engraved board to simulate water flowing. And with the expansion (which is a must) this game is seriously good.

2017 Prediction: Don't see this one budging on the list. The only place for it to go s up. But it's a strong current to swim that way. 

#19 Black Fleet

In this game you play as a pirate and a merchant, trying to get the most gold to unlock all your achievements and win the game. I always wanted a pirate game and this one has it all. Great pieces, real metal coins and all your missing is a Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack but you've got the rest right here!

Very popular at game nights. Everyone loves this game. It gets requested every other game night I believe. This is another game I took a chance on and bought before I played but I'm confident I made the right decision and won't be looking for any other pirate themed games to replace it in the future. 

2017 Prediction: This may wobble a little on the list but stay in the 20's for sure next year.
 
#18 Battle Ball

Football in the future! This is a smash mouth rip-off of a popular board game Blood Bowl. But if you want to buy that game you'll have to dig deep into your wallet. On the flip side, if you want to spend a few bucks, have simpler rules and equally as much fun....buy this game. It's so awesome. I love it more and more each time I play. Great looking figures, a die cast football and a cool football shaped die for passing. I can't think of a bad thing to say about this game!

2017 Prediction: The only thing that could hurt this game in the rankings is my decreasing love of the sport. Other than that, I think this game is a solid top 20 for next year.

#17 Thunder Road

Mad Max the board game....without the copyright. All you do in the game is drive down the road fighting off your competition to become the last man standing. Like Temple Run, the board breaks into 2 pieces that go in front of the other to simulate a never ending road.

After watching Fury Road, I loved this game even more. One of the best vintage games out there.

2017 Predictions: Now the movie has "calmed down" in my dvd player, this may slip a little in the ranking but it still won't change the fact it's an excellent game.

#16 Longshot

Beat on a horse, buy a horse, play a card, roll the die. That's all you do and this horse racing game is one of the best! It's also one of Megan's favorite games to play in my collection. We played it several times at the beach vacation and I just played it again a few weeks ago with my gaming group. Everyone loves the game and it's not hard to see why.

2017 Prediction: This game has no where to go but up. I play it all the time and enjoy it just as much as I did the first time I played!

#15 Campaign Trail 

Maybe it was the election that bumped this game up so high this year. I've played it a couple of times and have loved it. Even though it has cheap components, the game play is so good you'll forgive it. I can't explain why I love it so much but before I had to look at my shelf when coming up with a top 20, this one was already in my mind.

2017 Prediction: Just like Mr President, this game may slip a few spots since the elections are over but even with that being said I can't see it slipping out of the top 20. It's that good a game!

#14 Blood Feud in New York

One of the best games I played at GenCon this past year. I bought it immediately after playing it too. In this game you're a gang in New York trying to kill off the other mafia families and rule over the Big Apple! You have Limos, helicopters, boats, henchmen, thugs, hitmen and skyscrapers to help you out. You can pay off police, build precincts up into gambling areas to make more money (which is another way to win the game) and it goes without saying, this game drips with theme.

There's even neutral areas on the board you can never control but rather meet with rival gangs to make exchanges of prisoners and whatnot. WHO THINKS OF THAT?

This game does.

2017 Prediction: Eek. I have no clue. I had this ranked higher on my first list but dropped it for a few technical issues with the game. Maybe go down if I can't find an answer to where the game has defects. 

 
 
 #13 Conquest of the Empire

One of the oldest games in my collection. I bought this years ago before I even cared that much about board games and I still love it today. Your romans, taking over the empire. Catapults, ships, riders and army will assist you in being the next Caesar. Played the original version as a kid and bought the 90's version which has better made pieces. Giant board as well!

2017 Prediction: No way this one is moving down. The only way this ranking changes is by moving up!

#12 Star Wars Queen's Gambit

The best star wars board game out there. And the most rare game to get too! Currently it sells for around $300 or more! I got a copy for a little cheaper but still had to drop a big penny once I got a chance to check it out from a friend of mine in Phoenix this year. The game plays out the last 20 minutes of Episode 1 with amazing pieces that spread across 3 BOARDS!!! When set up, no game looks as good!

This is one of my nephews favorite games and its not hard to tell why. I've brought it out once at a game night where only one other showed up. We had a blast. This breaks the "2 player" strike that goes against so many other games in my collection. It deserves to be respected.

2017 Prediction: I would not be surprised to see this game fight for the top 10 next year. But no way to I see it dropping in rank. 

#11 Flash Point

My favorite coop game out there. You play a firefighter, trying to save victims in a building before they either die or the house goes up in flames. This game has it all. There are some levels I STILL can't beat. But I love it anyway. Was introduced to this game in Phoenix and bought it online after playing it that night. It comes with several board expansions that just add on to the enjoyment of this game.

2017 Prediction: Originally, this game was in my top 10 but if suffered due to one slight problem....I'm the only one who loves the game. My gaming group wasn't impressed but since I have a lot of newer folks in my current group, I may have show this to them again and cross my fingers they love it better than the last group.

 
 
 

No comments: