Monday, December 19, 2016

Top 100 Board Games 2016 (100-91)

#100: Ewoks Save the Trees

It was a four-way fight to get on the tail end of this list and in the end, this game won out. Barely.

This is an old game from the 80's that has a pop-up 3D board so it's ready to play with no set up required. You move two dials and move to the nearest matching color to get around on the board. But what set this apart from the other 3 games vying for this spot was the incredible looking Ewok pawns that go with the game. Super sturdy and well built, that tied with the fact I love me some Ewoks, put it on my list!

2017 Prediction: It's hard to say whether this will stay on my list next year. I'm hopeful and can hang in there but my nephews are getting older and this game was made for kids. So if it doesn't get to my table in enough time, I may have to give it the boot!


#99 Battleship

While writing down my top 100, I knew I was going to have classics and when it comes to classics from my childhood, Battleship was definitely on my list!

I played this game a million times as a kid and still enjoy playing an exact copy of that vintage gam today! Though two player games don't get played as much in my house, it's still a fun game I love to pull out from time to time.

2017 Prediction: If I add more games next year (which I believe I will) then this game may sadly be the first to go.

#98 Crash Canyon

Combine Micro Machines with a beautiful 3D board and you've got a super cool game that I would've LOVED playing as a kid. However, I got this game late in life and though it's fun, it only makes it this high on my list.

The game says you can add any of your micro machines to race in the game since any of the 80's toys are able to use the track and it makes me sad I don't have mine anymore!

2017 Prediction: Like Battleship, this game is hanging on a wing and prayer depending on how many games I add to my collection next year. 

#97 Memory

I found an exact copy of the game I had as a kid from the 70's. I was SO HAPPY to find it at an antique store and we played it that night in the hotel. STILL a fun classic game no matter what your age. I usually play this only with my little nephews but it's always an even playing field no matter what your age.

If you haven't played it in a while, you're missing out!

2017 Prediction: Such a fun game but not enough to keep it on the list next year. So if the fate of any game this low on the list I guess. 

 
 #96 Pit

Played this all the time as a kid with my family. We had so much fun! I recently bought a copy of the old 80's version we had only to discover Mom had 2 copies of the game she could've given me if I would've asked first!

This game has been around for over 100 years and if you've ever played, it's easy to guess why.

2017 Prediction: I feel with a few good plays on a game night, this one may be able to not only stay on the list but go up on the list. However, if it doesn't get played it'll be removed from my list completely. 

#95 Life

One of the first classic games I re-bought from my childhood when I started building my collection a year ago. I still love this game, it's so much fun. Though I haven't played it much this year I've been hankering to play it again, if I find the right group it's definitely hitting the table!

2017 Prediction: I'm hopeful once I get another play of this game that it'll be enough to keep it on my list for next year...though probably around the same ranking. 

#94 Monopoly

Talk about your classics. THE most popular board game ever is making my list. I loved this so much as a kid I had my own "renegade" copy of it made up of miscellaneous pawns, a deck of old property cards and a paper copy of the board I got from when McDonald's was doing their Monopoly specials.

My wife and I still play it from time to time and no matter what "hate" I get from other board gamers for putting this on my list, I don't care. There's a reason it's the #1 mos popular game out there and I know why!

2017 Prediction: This will be a hard sell to have me bump this off my list next year. The Mrs loves the game and still plays it with me so I don't see it leaving the list....however I don't see it moving up either. 

 
 #93 Stargate

When I made my first draft of this list, Stargate didn't make the cut. But in the past month I was able to give it a second try and found out the reason I didn't like it. You really need 6 players to enjoy this game. The pieces are quality and I love the TV show, so I'm glad I gave it another try before discarding it completely.

2017 Prediction: Being this low on the list isn't doing this game any favors. No one else I know has seen the show and it's not that good of a game to hold its own. Here's to hoping it stays on the list another year!

#92 Dead Stop!

I discovered this vintage game this summer, where 2 players try to guess the colored rings hiding underneath their opponents pawns. Guess correctly and that pawn comes to a...dead stop. I love this game. It doesn't look like much fun by the looks of the box but believe me, it's a game worth trying out!

2017 Prediction: Again, 2 player games don't get much love in this house, so though it may slip a few spots I think it's good enough to hang in the list next year. 

#91 Mille Bornes

Classic card game from my childhood. Found the exact copy from my childhood during my travels, played it, still love it. Glad to have it in my collection. Super fun French game that I hope hits the table for years to come.

2017 Prediction: Out of all the games on the list so far, this has the best potential to move up a little, depending I get it to the table enough.
 
   


No comments: