Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Top 100 Board Games 2016 (80-71)

#80 Forbidden Bridge

I spent months trying to find this for a decent price on Ebay. When I finally got it, I played it and realized I paid too much. That doesn't mean this is a bad game. Just over-inflated in price.

That being said it's a fun game where you go back and forth over a bridge collecting jewels and trying not to fall off. First one back with a boat full of jewels wins. This is from the "adventure" series by Milton Bradly which featured a few other games you'll see later on this list.

2017 Prediction: It'll fall slightly but probably stick around the 80's next year.

#79 Vampire Hunter

The only board game I know where you play in the dark, trying to get to Dracula's lair and kill him! The board has a cool 3D effect that changes in the light. Day time is easier to get around than the night of course and it's way harder than it looks. I win about 50% of the time. Great game for Halloween!

2017 Prediction: Though it may slip a little in the rankings it'll still hold its own on the list.

#78 Star Wars VCR Game

I've had this game in my collection for years. I bought it because the tape said it had "new" Star Wars footage, which happened to be a few cut scenes from A New Hope but it was still worth seeing. I was surprised to find out the game was actually fun too!

In this game, you're racing against time to sabotage the Death Star before it blows up a planet. You play as a Jedi with an R2 unit on a board game that has 3 levels. I played this lots of times with my nephews back in the day and now that the video's been uploaded to YouTube I can play without my VCR tape!

I see a lot more plays in the future...

2017 Prediction: Like I said, now that a VCR player is no longer needed for the game, it may have a chance to move up the list or at the very least stick around the same ranking. 

#77 RollerCoaster Tycoon

Another game Megan and I picked up while traveling to Knoxville. Found for super cheap and the game was well worth it. You're buying attractions at an amusement park and moving several player pawns onto them to collect money from the attendance. Very smart game!

2017 Prediction: It'll stay around the same ranking next year I think. The only warning sign is that I don't play it that much, which could end up hurting the game.
 

#76 Chopper Strike

This vintage game from the 70's has a clear plastic tray that covers the top of the board game and lets you play on 2 levels. Helicopters fight helicopters and jeeps, Jeeps battle other jeeps and helicopters. You have to keep an eye out on both boards to make sure you don't make a mistake. Plays like a simple war version of chess.

2017 Prediction: It may lose a few spots due to its 2-player status, but still a good game.

#75 Escape the Mad Mummy

Part of my Ebay "bargain package" came this gem, that ended up being the best of the lot! I'd seen reviews and wasn't impressed, but this children's game has great pieces, a spinning dice that looks amazing and can fold into a pyramid!! SO much better than what I thought it would be.

In the game you're running around an Egyptian tomb collecting treasures and avoiding the mummy. You spin the big die on a platform, then roll regular dice as much as you can to move around the board before it falls. Fun and fast for all ages!

2017 Prediction: This game will probably hold it's status for next year, perhaps even gain a few if it keeps getting requested from my nephews. 

#74 Tornado Rex

Another adventure game from Milton Bradley that uses a spectacular 3D board as you hike a mountain avoiding Rex, a spinning top used in the game. The mechanic is so unique and the game is fun. Even my nephews neighbors come over when they hear I'm bringing this one to their house.

2017 Prediction: This is another one that should hold steady on the list next year. 

#73 Shark Mania

A cheap board game I bought new on Amazon one day. You're pirates, who's ship just sank and you're trying to make it across a pier to the safety of the island before a shark gets you! The shark is actually a fin that moves along the pier by a recoiling string. You have a choice every time you roll the die to move or gather coins (which count at points in the end)

Great party game for all ages! I brought it on our family vacation, backstage during a theater performance and even on gaming night. Easy set up, quick starter game to play for all!

2017 Prediction: Definitely one that will be holding ground come next year's list. Wouldn't be surprised if it even bumps up a few spots either!

#72 Donkey Kong Card Game

One of the few card games I own and it plays just like the video game. You place cards on the table and build up to conquer Donkey Kong. Someone can play a card to stop you with a barrel of fireball and you have to play a counter card or start at the bottom all over again.

Simple game with simple rules but a whole lot of fun. Was shown it at GenCon a few years back, bought it and have loved it ever since!

2017 Prediction: May fall a bit seeing that it's a card game (which I enjoy the least) but probably won't fall that much. 

 
 #71 Smurf Ahoy 

The only game of my wife's collection that made my list. Fairly high too. This game is basically Topple with smurfs on a boat. But the pieces are so well made and the game is so stinking fun it's one of the few games of Megan's that's made the table for MY board game nights! I don't think she enjoys it as much as I do but I'm glad she bought it because I never would've given it a shot it she hadn't!

2017 Prediction: Though it may fall a few spots, I think it'll stay in the 70's for next year too.
 
 

No comments: