Thursday, July 28, 2016

Robin Hood book review

Another book I was able to read this year was Robin Hood. I never read it as a kid which is kind of surprising because this type of book seemed right up my alley back in the day. But I'm glad I finally got a chance to read it because I thought it was amazing!

Out of every movie I've ever watched, it kind of a shame, none of them ever followed this plot line and character development!

It begins with a young Robin, who's not the best shot and can't make a good arrow to save his life. And if that's not interesting enough, here's a few more facts in the book that have never made it into a movie (for as much as I can remember)

1) Little John appears half way into the book and is not that big of a character.

2) Robin is constantly bested by folks in Sherwood forest he duels and has to blow on his horn on more than one occasion to get back up.

3) Friar Tuck is one badass monk who schools Robin so bad he asked for a boon and the match to be over. Friar Tuck is mentioned later on as being a strong leader, who's wits and fighting skill get him out of more than one situation with the Sheriff of Nottingham's folks.

4) Speaking of the Sheriff, he's more of a name to be feared than an actual character in the book. Wild that he's always portrayed as a chief villain in the movies since Robin and his men encounter others more frequently.

5) Same as the Sheriff, Prince John is more of a name to be feared and hated than an actual villain in the novel.

6) There's least 3 characters with bigger roles in Robin's story than Little John and not once have I seen them mentioned in any other movies. 

7) They call each other "gossip" a lot, which I'm not really sure why since the language is never explained.

8) Will Scarlett is Robin's cousin. (not brother, as in Prince of Thieves)

9) (SPOILERS) The ending of the book is extremely sad. It takes place 5 years after King Richard's return and Robin is an Earl. But Marian dies, he's goes into morning, gives his kids into the hands of friend to raise, retreats into Sherwood forest and goes back to being a bandit until wounded by an arrow and eventually assassinated by another female adversary never mentioned in the movies but is a reoccurring villain in the book. 

I was shocked and in awe at the same time. Overall, I think this book is worth the read and if you like the Character of Robin Hood I'd encourage you to check it out!

No comments: