Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Last of the Mohican's Book Review

As many of you know I've been reading through the classics this summer and now that I've finished a few of them, I wanted to give you my reviews.

The first book I finished was Cooper's classic indian tale.

Now I read this book way back in the late 80's about 2 years before the movie came out. I liked it but thought the movie was better.

It has violent scenes, excellent dialogue and beautiful portrayals of characters. Reading it again, I was curious to see if I would still hold the same judgment as I did when I was younger. Because now I believe that the book is ALWAYS better than the movie.

I was wrong. The movie's still better.

Let me be clear that I also believe this is the ONLY exception to that rule since I've consistently enojoyed the books more. But in this case, it's the movie hands down.

Here's why.

While the book is good, it's interrupted by boring dialogue from the Indians and the French. Cooper shows off his talent by writing in French for all the soldiers, yet not offering a translation of what is being said. Though not imperative to the story it sure takes you out of it when you don't know what is going on, or why the last 5 pages were in French.

Afterwards, you're mind decides for itself what else it can start skimming over and pretty soon, 1/3 of the book is over looked as the Indian conversations about the spirits in nature and whatnot is completely overlooked and irrelevant to the story.

But can I recommend it due to it's excellent battle scenes and depictions of surroundings? Eeeeee... it's too close to call. I think a lot of people will want to pass this one up and watch the movie instead. And since the movie IS indeed better than the book, I'm obliged to agree.

No comments: