Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Code 8 (Part 1 and 2) Movie review


 Bored one night when I'd put all the kids to bed on my own and had cleaned the house the night before, I found myself with rare "free" time on my hands long enough to watch a movie. 

And it was so good, I watched the sequel too!

Code 8 is an alternative universe story about if people were super abilities lived around us. In the 30's and 40's they were helpful but when the age of machinery and innovation came, they weren't needed anymore and became hated and feared by the public. 

It centers around an "electric" who's mother is dying and he needs money for the hospital bills to get her well. He meets up with a gang of robbers and works with them to make the money. 

Along the way they are hounded by robot police in giant drones that fly all around the city as well as human cops and detectives. 

I won't spoil the ending in case you've never seen it but it's pretty good and got me interested in watching the most recent sequel which came out. 

It wasn't that good. 

Somehow the main character from the first movie was locked up in jail the whole time (which is not how the last movie ended) and has been released. During which time he meets a young girl with powers that can overthrow the corrupt chief of police and possibly save the supers who are being hunted down and killed secretly from the public's eye. 

Overall, watch the first one and leave it at that. It had a good ending and was never intended to have a sequel until the movie gained traction with fans. 

No comments: