Just like every twilight imperium game before it you never
think how much better it can get until you play again.
This had to be the most amazing game I've played in quite
some time. For the second time only I was able to open the fractured void and
get in it. It took me two rounds to finally capture a planet and that's when I
realized the entire void is just a giant red herring.
Sure the planets are very powerful granting you a relic
along with other super abilities (in my case a victory point) but by the time
everything was said and done the leader had 6 victory points to my 2. Since all
my energy was focused on taking over a planet in the void I was losing out on
points.
Sure this is only my personal opinion but I wouldn't put it
past this game to keep putting up shiny trinkets in front of the player's eyes
that make them lose focus on scoring victory points.
It was at this time I realized the game was really out of my
hands.
Yet as any experienced player knows….never give up hope, you
just don't know what might happen.
Well during one of the agenda phases an opportunity
presented itself as I was the speaker about to break up a tied vote on which
planet would be demilitarized. One of them was Mecatol Rex Which would
essentially give that player the planet indefinitely throughout the rest of the
game.
A very powerful vote. And as we know with very powerful
votes come very powerful deals.
My plan was simple give him my deciding vote and have him
keep Rex for the rest of the game thereby almost assuring him the win. In
exchange he would give me support for the throne. Afterwards my goal would be
to paint him as the front runner and try to make it close enough to convince
the other players to give me support for the throne in the end thereby beating
him the last moment.
And that's exactly what happened. But it wasn't as easy as
you would think.
First off my nephew was (rightfully) against the deal in the
first place and argued against it vehemently. He almost convinced the guy until I finally
one out with a better argument showing him how he could easily win the game.
Once the deal was made I slowly gathered enough points to
get within striking distance and when the final round happened he was sitting
on Rex with strategy card 8 in his hand ready to end the game on his turn.
Then I struck my plan.
Gathering the other players I asked one of them to remove
all his fleet from his home planet so that I could take it thereby completing a
secret mission and then the other players giving me support for the throne
right after that so I would be crowned the winner and literally steal victory
from the other guy.
And because that guy was so arrogant as to ask if we wanted
it to go another round or not since he was “obviously going to win” it cheesed
the other players off enough that I knew I could convince them to give me the
victory. And hand me that victory they did.
It was a master stroke in negotiations. Definitely a game
for the ages. As each one of the players were pointing fingers at each other at
whose fault this all was while I sat back with a smile on my face and the crown
of champion upon my head.
What a great game…

No comments:
Post a Comment