Saturday, May 14, 2022

TI4 (Game 3 for 2022) Results


 Just finished another playthrough and boy was it another thriller!

I was the Federation of Sol and I don't think I've been them before. They're good at ground battles and little else so it was hard to find their strongest path to victory. 

With almost the entire table after me it was a struggle to keep up with the leader for the night. Once I tied the score at 6 each, that's when panic started to set in to the crowd and 3 of the players (who believed they had no chance on winning) tried to play "Kingmaker" by all three of them handing in their 'support for the throne" promissory notes. Thus making the score 9 to 6. 



But the gamble backfired. As all their secret missions were about attacking another player. And since you LOSE "support for the throne" that way, it pigeonholed the leader and they scored 0 points that round, while I was able to eek out a point thru a secret mission of my own. 

9 to 7

When the next objective came out, everyone saw that I had the qualifications for it and would have the game tied up by the end of the round. (the leader STILL couldn't find a way to score a point)

Bemoaning this fact, they begged for a 4th player to spend their "support for the throne" to give the leader the win. But he had 8 points and was trying to win the game himself. He did eventually saw that if I passed him in points he'd hand the game over after that. (he was trying to find a way to claim 2 points himself to win first) 

I had NO secret missions to get my 3rd point but I came up with an ingenuous plan to win it all.  

I grabbed the "8" strategy card in case the player in 2nd place was able to achieve that objective at the end of the round and win the game. This way I was assured the 2 points before anyone else got them. 



And the 3rd? I'd have to claim Mecatol Rex. At this point it was controlled by someone who had more troops on the ground than in the air. 

The Federation of Sol excel in ground battles. 



The round before when strategy "7" was played, I  upgraded my carrier to a speed of "2" in order to reach Rex in one move. 

I moved in and took Rex. 

Other players started moving in, one (with the 6 strategy card) was within reach and since my forces were diminished on the Rex after the battle, there was no way I was going to be able to survive and everyone at the table knew it.    

So when it came to my next turn I reminded them all....


...I had strategy card #8. 

Played it. Gain 1 point and immediately claimed the 2 point objective, winning the game like that!!!

Another stunning victory for the King!

But my days of reigning supreme I feel are certainly coming to an end. We plan on playing again at the end of the month. Not sure how much longer I can keep pulling rabbits out of the hat, but I'm not going to make it easy for them when they eventually take me down. 

But until then.....hail to the king baby! 

No comments: