Monday, May 23, 2022

Gumbo and crab cakes


 2 of the best things my grandmother used to make were her gumbo and crab cakes. They looked nothing like the picture above but they tasted 1000 times better than anything I'll ever have again. 

Her gumbo was amazing. Mom can replicate it very well so we'll always have the recipe. But EVERY seafood place I've eaten at, the gumbo is TERRIBLE. One of my favorite places here in town serves it and because I love their menu so much I decided to try it....I spit it out after the first bite and ordered something else.

Her crab cakes took a while for me to appreciate. First off, they were made fresh and usually carried pieces of shell in them which I hated biting into. But the meat was so fresh that I eventually got over the shell bits and enjoyed it for what it was. This is one thing I'll never have again and that's a shame. 

No comments: