Wednesday, July 29, 2020

The Shaping of Middle-Earth (Re-read)

The 4th book in the History of Middle Earth deals solely on the 1st age. Not the most interesting but this book will surprise you!

Most of the novel is about Tolkien's rough draft for the Silmarillion. It's not as boring as you'd think! The book gets even better later on when it starts discussing and showing maps of Middle-Earth from back in the 1st age.

In addition to that, there's a few timelines shown that give you an overall depiction of where all the written events take place in the story line. I have to admit, it's pretty good. Even ending with Morgoth's defeat and Sauron's rise to power.

I remember my first time through I didn't think much of this one. But now thanks to the re-read, I have a much greater appreciation for it now!

No comments: