Monday, October 28, 2019

Fall of Gondolin Review

I know I said I wasn't going to buy this book and I didn't! Dad bought it for himself, so I decided to borrow it and read it right after I finished Lord of the Rings to try and keep that love of Middle-Earth moving along!

Though a decent book, it's very apparent that Christopher Tolkien has nothing more from his Dad's writings to give us. He tries really hard to convince the reader that he's showing more in this novel than he did in his previous "Book of Lost Tales 1 & 2" but it's evident he's not.

Though I love the story the book isn't worth getting if you already have the History of the Middle-Earth series.

If you don't want to get the 12 volume series and would rather this 3 part series instead? Sure, go for it. Children of Hurin stands up pretty much on its own anyway, so I enjoy that one, it's staying in my collection. This one is going back to Dad, who doesn't have the history of Middle-Earth so I think this will suit him nicely in his collection.

No comments: