Sunday, November 10, 2013

What ever happened to cereal box toys?

Looking back at yesterday's post I started asking myself, "Why don't they put toys and prizes in cereal boxes anymore?"

Back when I was a kid that was THE BEST thing about going with Mom to the grocery store. You always were excited when it came to picking out a cereal. And every kid knew that the toy inside the box mattered A LOT!

 Fruity Pebble's color changing dinosaurs, changed in cold water.

There were times we bought cereals we HATED. Only because there was a nifty toy to play with inside. But today the cereal giants have gotten lazy.

Walking down the isle last week I spotted a box of Golden Grahams that advertised a Star Wars pen inside each box.

I bought it.

I never would've done so if it hadn't have said that on the box. The next morning, I made myself a bowl. Dug into the side of the box (released a man giggle) and pulled out the pen. It's cheap looking, but it works and I love it! I just hate that's not the case any more for others cereals you get.
Garfield bike reflectors

Guess my point is, I miss the toys! I miss the prizes! Bring them back please. Make my adulthood have fond moments every time I visit the grocery store. But this time, I'm wise enough to know that whatever comes in a box of Fruit Loops isn't worth it.

Yuck!!

No comments: