Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Reposnse for Josh

For some reason it won't let me reply to your comment so I'm having to post a response. 

Let me give you a scenario. The Colts get sold and move to Toronto. Their new name is the Toronto Blue Coats. Are you still a fan? Remember, it's the same team, same coach and same colors, just under a different logo, name and city.

No?

Well I've spent 25 years collecting and enjoying the Star Wars expanded universe. It's the big reason I'm a fan. If they take all that away and say it's hogwash, then they've basically said I wasted 1/3 of my life reading excellent stories by Zahn, Anderson, Denning and others.

If this happens, I'm out. You wouldn't follow the Toronto Blue Coats but you would still watch the NFL, right?

I'll see the movies, but I won't be a big fan anymore. It'll be like Star Trek to me. Enjoyable stories that are worth watching but not worthy of collecting.

Like I've said before "continuity" is what makes Star Wars unique to me and several other fans. If they lose this, than they've made a complete separation from that group of fans.

It's happened before. The prequels came out and some fans said "good bye" to Star Wars. They care about the original trilogy only. I understand that. They had a line drawn in the sand and Lucas crossed it.

Well this is my line. They're talking about making movies until the series is worn out than doing a reboot after that. Sad because under exposure is what's helped Star Wars in popularity for a long time. Look at the McRib? Would it still be as popular for McDonalds if it was available all year long? No. It's established it's cult following through scarcity of product.



Yes I just compared Star Wars to a McRib, but you get what I'm saying.

I'll post more on this later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok man, I get it. I understand where you're coming from. But you're using the wrong analogy! It's still called Star Wars! If the Colts were sold and moved, they would still have to be called the Indianapolis Colts for your analogy to be accurate. So your points/analogies just don't hold water. Also, you are panicking over nothing right now! How do you know Disney is going to throw away the expanded universe (by the way, I have absolutely no idea what that is)? Disney has a track record of gaining fans, not losing them, and putting out some great material (see the examples from my original comment). And Lucas is still a creative consultant. Don't you think they are aware of this issue? Speaking of that, YOU HATE LUCAS! How is this sale not a good thing? Here's another analogy for you. Let's say I hated the owner, players, and stadim that the Colts play in. They are sold to an owner I respect, get new players capable of winning a Super Bowl, and a state-of-the-art stadium. OF COURSE I'D BE A FAN! In fact, my outlook would improve immensely! I just think you are talking out both sides of your mouth here. You continually bash Lucas, then moan and groan when he sells the rights! When I heard the news, my first reaction was, "Matt will love this!" So I was pretty shocked when I read quite the contrary.

Finally, you spent about a third of your original post griping about the new movies, and how your expectation was for them to be bad (Spielberg, Howard, etc.) The only reason I wrote my original comment was to combat this doom-and-gloom prediction. If anything, now that Lucas is out, they should be BETTER than the prequels! Like I said, I don't know anything about the expanded universe, so if that's your big draw, and they change it all, I completely understand why you'd be "out". But nothing has happened yet! Shouldn't you save your panic for when/if this actually occurs?

-Melton

Anonymous said...

Didn't see your other comment about the scarcity/underexposure of the films. I can't argue with that, except to say that they will only bring them out every 3 years. That's really not that bad. I mean, the McRib comes out once a year, right? So if you really want to compare the 2, Star Wars would be even scarcer! But I get what you're saying. I would have very low expectations of a "reboot". That sounds terrible. Then again, you never know. It could extend to legions of fans in a new generation after all, and be really good. I'm trying to stay positive about the whole thing. I just hope they still plan on re-releasing Eps 1-6 in 3D. Noah really liked the first.

-Melton