Monday, January 30, 2012

Best Joker

Continuing our look at best actors and actresses to portray characters from Batman, let's look at some of the villains this week. We'll start with the most popular villain of them all... the Joker.

4) Cesar Romero



It's sad that I have to rank Cesar last. He really did a good job. And was in his 40's I believe when he played the Joker on the TV series. Adam West consistently praises his performance as the Joker and I have to agree, his energy is there. But sadly he pales in comparison to the next 3 I'm about to talk about.

3) Heath Ledger



I'm going to hear it about this. But trust me, this is where Heath belongs in the ranking. Did he do a good job in the Dark Knight? No. He did a fantastic job! The reason he's #3 is because he didn't play the Joker's character, he made one up on his own. The Dark Knight's Joker was more grim than how he's usually portrayed in... well in like every other thing out there! I thought Heath did a wonderful job and I'm not discrediting him, his portrayal of the Clown Prince of Crime was unique and I'll give him credit for that.

2) Jack Nicholson



BARELY squeaking out a win over Heath Ledger is ole Jack. He played Joker in just the right way, with a sense of humor with a scary and demented underside. I watched these movies again last year and I almost would say this was one of Nicholson's BEST performances. (and he's had a lot!) But it wasn't enough to claim the #1 spot.

1) Mark Hamill



I didn't want to put voice actors in this category. But after many discussions with a friend of mine I've had to concede the point that Mark Hamill IS the Joker. Think about it folks, when you hear the Joker who's voice pops in your head? Yep, me too. Mark Hamill will always be known for 2 things, being Luke Skywalker and the Joker.

Don't think I'm biased because of his connection to Star Wars. I actually had to be convinced for several hours before realizing my buddy was right. Mark Hamill did the best Joker. (although I still lean back on Nicholson taking the title)

Ok folks, that's all for today. More tomorrow!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nope, when I think of The Joker, Jack's voice and face pops in my head.

-Melton

Anonymous said...

I have to disagree!! Jack takes it all the way. You can't go by voice. Sure there's voice acting, but what about the emotions and all that comes from the actor through his face? Sure mark has the voice for joker and that's great but anyone can easily pull off a voice. Jack takes the top on this!! Sorry to disagree but it's the truth!

Megan

kidcardco said...

I know. I didn't even have him in this until CJ convinced me otherwise. Steve? I'm surprised you haven't commentated yet. I figured you would have supported this choice.

WAIT A MINUTE?! ARE MELTON AND MEGAN ACTUALLY AGREEING ON SOMETHING?!?!


Maybe I AM wrong!? ;)

Anonymous said...

Yes because this was a given fact of who the best was. I still have no idea what you were thinking other than Luke skywalker. :)

Megan

Unknown said...

Oh boy do I disagree!!

I think Nicholson actually should be bottom of the list. Then Romero, then Ledger, and you got #1 correct with Mark Hamill. Mark Hamill actually does emote amazingly through his voice, both in the animated series, as well as in the Arkham Asylum/City games. Heath Ledger takes it the other direction but remains amazingly close to the character, especially the character as he appeared in "The Killing Joke" (I assume you have read The Killing Joke, if not do so now.) The only thing I liked about Nicholson's Joker is the costume and the facial make-up. Otherwise I thought the character was just... lacking. And even though I'm not one to judge on this, his age and his pot belly detracted from the character. The Joker is supposed to be a stick thin, wiry, animated guy, to contrast with the bulkiness of batman.

kidcardco said...

Wow. So many different opinions!

Yikes. I like Jack's Joker. I think he played him well. He was my #1 until I lost the argument a few weeks ago when my buddy said the same thing about Hamill's Joker and I had to agree, he was good. But putting Jack at the bottom.... nope, sorry, can't do that.

Not only to I OWN the Killing Joke but I was just telling Megan last week that it's still the best comic I've ever read!

In the next few weeks I plan to go back thru all my old Batman comics and re-read them again. For some reason I missing Batman Year One. Strange, because I have Year 2 and 3 I don't know where the other one went.

Another book(s) missing is the Batman/Predator series. I could've sworn I bought them, but I can't find them anywhere.

I may have to do a little shopping on Amazon once this is over.

Did anyone ever read the Arkham City comic that was the prequel to the game? I saw it available last week but didn't know whether it was worth it or not.

I'll have to do best Batman comic books in a post later on this year...SO MANY GOOD ONES TO TALK ABOUT!

Unknown said...

I agree with you that Killing Joke is probably the best Batman comic I ever read.

I'm sure I don't have to, but I'm gonna suggest a couple Bat-books in case you hadn't read them. "A Death in the Family" the one where Joker kills Jason Todd Robin, that was very influential to me as a kid. As well as "Gotham by Gaslight", the first elseworlds book, amazing stuff. I also liked "Batman: Year 100", OH! and the new "Batman & Robin" series that came out not too long ago by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely

Anonymous said...

Actually, Megan and I agreed on Keaton too, until I stupidly misread your comment. As for the Joker, I completely agree with everything Megan said - voice, body control, actions, etc. all go into the character, so putting a voice actor in there is patently unfair.

Boom goes the dynamite :-)

-Melton

Anonymous said...

nickolson played a scarier joker than heath but that was'nt what i personally was looking for. the joker was ment to be seen upon as a crazy individual who has no sence of remorse like heath ledger executed in the begining of the dark night as he shot all the men he'd hired before getting on the bus. or how he showed he didn't fear death when he stood in the path of batmans motorcycle as it tredded towards him. heath played a character who seemed briliant. and often seem'd to out smart batman. witch made him mysterious and far mor exciting than the bat. i may not be a batman fanatic like im guesing u reading this are but i know actors and acting.!!

kalib myers said...

nickolson played a scarier joker than heath but that was'nt what i personally was looking for. the joker was ment to be seen upon as a crazy individual who has no sence of remorse like heath ledger executed in the begining of the dark night as he shot all the men he'd hired before getting on the bus. or how he showed he didn't fear death when he stood in the path of batmans motorcycle as it tredded towards him. heath played a character who seemed briliant. and often seem'd to out smart batman. witch made him mysterious and far mor exciting than the bat. i may not be a batman fanatic like im guesing u reading this are but i know actors and acting.!!

Anonymous said...

Ledger debateably had the greatest secondary role ever