Monday, April 24, 2017

Wildstorm Review: Stormwatch

So back in the day I read a lot of Wildstorm comics. We loved the universe growing up. My brothers and friends each collected a different title and shared those with the others. It was great seeing a universe connect so well. (although, looking back at it now, it wasn't as perfect a fit as I thought) But overall the series as a whole was very good. So this week I wanted to discuss all the titles I've recently re-read and give you my thoughts on it.

The first thing I re-read was Stormwatch. Now I said "re-read" though to be honest I didn't read all the issues of it back in the day (my cousin bought them all) I read a few here and there.

My cousin dumped his collection on to my brother, who handed me these gems that'd I'd been curious about reading for a while. I was happy to get back in to comic book reading, with a story that was very similar to the X-men, where you have a team of super heroes working together to keep the planet safe. Oh and they're run by the United Nations.

Generic idea, with cliche characters but one of my favorite things they did was after Issue #9 they skipped ahead and did Issue #25 to show you what the future would have in store for the comic. A year and a half later they came out with #24 and skipped to #26 so you can put #25 in order and see how it matched up.

Though not perfect (a few scenes being changed in #26) it was pretty cool to see how far planned out the series was at the time. I haven't seen anything as impressive since.

Is this story worth your time? Not unless you have a love for the Wildstorm Universe as I did back in the 90's. The stories and dialogue are extremely dated, but it makes me smile knowing I never realized that as a teen and thought instead it was some of the greatest stuff ever!

No comments: