Wednesday, April 05, 2017

Jaws The novel (review)


I got this novel for Megan for Xmas last year. She loved it! She sat down that night and read the first 16 pages. Today she's read....16 pages. So last week I took it from her nightstand, blew off the dust and read it in 2 days.

Incredible book. Much different from the movie (which is great as well) but the book goes in a different direction in so many ways. First off, the Mayor of the town has his own story line which is so good, I'm sad it wasn't included in the movie. He's not just an ass who wants the beaches open for business, but I guy who's in over his head and is almost being held captive by mistakes he made in the past. I don't want to ruin it, but I thought it was good.

Hooper is a completely different character from what we see in the films. You don't know whether you like him or not. Quint is still fantastic and though the book ended abruptly (and not as climatic as the movie) I gasped a few times at deaths not featured in the movie (not everyone you think is going to make it out alive) but was so engrossed in the story, when it ended I didn't even realize I was on the last page!!

Now that's how to keep your audience captive!

It's only 311 pages so if you're looking for some reading this summer and you have the interest, it may be good enough to put on your list.

No comments: