Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Wildstorm Review: Gen 13

Now we're getting to the book I collected back in the day. (as did millions of other folks in the 90's) Gen 13 took the comic book world by storm and instantly became a huge hit! Kids, our age with super powers, cool get-ups and awesome lingo. "He's so Baldwin!" and "Not!" are featured in the original run. I'll admit, the series went south quick when they came out with the ongoing series. I guess I should have known they'd sell out the fans when 13 alternate covers were made for issue #1. But the original mini-series is still fun.

There's so many moments I remembered, looking back over the panels. I must have re-read these a dozen times as a teen. And if you'll look at the front cover that's exactly who this was written for. Teenage boys. Scantily clad females was all the rage back then, which added to the rush for comic book shops to sell out each issue.

Looking back over it it's laughable to see the main villain strip his opponents naked and hold them in cells for no apparent reason other than the artist to draw them "covered naked" on the pages. Besides that though, Gen 13 is a delightful romp through my childhood and what was considered "Cool" back then. (I still think the grunge look is cool by the way)

Is it worth your time? This comic actually dates itself by stating it starts in 1994, so if you're a child of the 90's then yes, it's a definite read for you. 

No comments: