Monday, October 05, 2015

Clint Thomas RIP

Clint Thomas died this past weekend in his home. 

He ran a comic book store in Monroe for over 20 years. He was our competition when I worked for Cards, Coins and Collectibles in the mall (in the late 90's). Those were the days hen we had 5 comic book stores in town and Clint's Comic's was the last man standing.

I was a long time customer of Clint's who closed his box just last year. (with Star Wars moving over to Disney) My last visit there was in May for free comic book day, though I almost stopped in this past week to look around.

Clint always gave away more comic books than most stores would for that day. He'd have boxes of old comics he'd just give away for free. And even though he was the ONLY game in town, Clint never was in it for profit.

I got amazing deals from him. Everyone did. That's just who he was. Clint wasn't in it fo the money, he did it for the love. He barely made a profit and was kind and generous to all who came in.

He ran for Mayor 5 times and for the past 20 years he's the only candidate ever to get my vote. Seriously, I don't know if I'll even go to the polls next time since there's no one else I care about. He only received between 400 to 700 votes each time but we didn't care. One thing you knew about Clint was, he wasn't a crook.

Never taken seriously in politics, he was largely ignored as a threat by all. He was recently running for Sheriff this year, which is why I almost stopped in his store last week. I wanted to put up a sign in my yard. He wouldn't have won, but still would've gotten my vote all the same.

Clint thought it was his civil duty to do something for the community he loved. Though he had no idea what he would do if elected, that small circle of friends were always loyal in giving him their votes.

I have no idea what will happen to his store now. I doubt he had a will, I don't even know if he has family, but I do hope someone takes over the store. He was the last of us who lived during to the comic boom of the 90's to keep his doors open.

Here's to hoping they remain open, long after his death. 


No comments: