Monday, August 12, 2013

Trip Advisor (the REAL story)

After speaking to someone this weekend about the website I've decided to write a post to tell everyone what you might not have known about this site.

It's not as honest as you think.

Sure they have good and bad post on there at times and I know a lot of people use them and I used to be one of them too until something that happened last year changed my mind.

Megan and I were on one of our several visits to the Dallas area last year when one of the hotels we regularly stayed at gave us a horrible experience. When it rained our entire room starting this awful creaking sound that lasted most the night. When we mentioned it to the lady behind the counter that morning she didn't seem to care. In fact, she ignored me and started speaking to the next guest in line instead.

Of course, I was livid after this and went online to write a complaint. I also wrote one on Tripadvisor stating our displeasure during our stay. Now this particular hotel had not had a complaint about them on the site so when I logged one all hell seemed to break loose.

The hotel manager called me and asked me to delete my comment because (she said) it wasn't true. She refused to believe her employee (who turned out to be the Asst Manager!) would ever act like that an I must be lying. I told her it was the truth and I would not remove my comment on Tripadvisor because I wanted everyone else to know that when it rains that her hotel is NOT the place they want to be in if they want a good nights rest.

A week later I got an email from Tripadvisor stating that had removed my comment about the hotel and unless I was able to PROVE what happened the were not re-posting it on there site. I.E. "We play favorites and when a hotel doesn't want a negative comment on their site we'll remove it for a price."

So are the comments true on this website? Sure. But don't believe it when you see a hotel with NO complaints. All it means is that hotel pays good money to make all of it's complaints "go away"

Just thought I'd let you know!

No comments: