Sunday, August 25, 2013

Meet the new Batman

So WB dropped a bomb shell on us Thursday announcing Ben Affleck as the new Batman in the next Superman movie. After Christian Bale turned down the role for $50 million this was WB's next choice.

From the man who gave us such classic's as "Gigli" and his first super hero flick "Daredevil" will now be the next one to don the hollowed cape and cowl.

And I love it.

You heard me right, I love this choice. For a couple of reasons listed below:

1) Ben Affleck can act. Yes he's had his choppy spots here and there but were these really his fault? To be honest the only reason Daredevil failed was it's poor story line and terrible CGI moments. Other than that Affleck's acting wasn't bad at all!

2) Fanboy outrage. This is really stirring the pot in the comic-nerd world right now and I'm loving it. But the fanboy's have not always been right. They hated Michael Keaton back in the day too and look how he turned out. I'm not comparing Affleck to Keaton, I'm just saying...

3) WB's complete ignorance on choosing Affleck for the role. One of the reasons I love this choice is because it's proof of how bad the WB Execs DON'T know their fan base! The average comic book fan STOPPED watching Affleck after Daredevil and still have him labeled as a bad actor in their minds. Regardless on how well he does it's going to be a hard sell from the producers to get fans to accept him prior to the release.

4) Whatever happens, the ignorant-cow-grazing fan boys will flock to theaters to see this movie. Comic book movies are on a win streak right now and I see that going on for at least another couple of years. If these folks loved Man of Steel, they deserve Affleck as the new Batman for the next. And after all their complaining, EVERYONE will show up in theaters and it'll become the biggest hit at the box office for DC yet. Nothing's going to stop that.

Will it be a good movie? I highly doubt it. DC hasn't impressed me since Batman Forever and it took me almost 10 years to appreciate that movie. (Val Kilmore was an awesome Bruce Wayne)

But who knows? Maybe they'll cast Gilbert Goddfrey as Lex Luthor and their path to the Dark Side will be complete.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

For once I really don't have much of an opinion on the matter. I think the team-up movie idea reeks of desperation on the part of WB in the wake of Avengers being successful, so you got this thrown together batman/superman thing. I *might* go see it, but I'm certainly not looking forward to it.

Melton said...

1.Man of Steel was good. Your criticism was overblown. I'm not a Zack Snyder fan, and he wasn't a great choice, but it was fun and had a bit of depth.

2.I was excited to see how Cavill pulled off Clark Kent (he did very little of it in MOS) in the sequel. So putting Batman in the movie at all was a bad choice in the first place.

3.I am an Affleck fan. He's a *decent* actor, and a terrific director. But this is NOT a good role for him. First off, I don't buy him as a badass. But hey, once he dons the cowl, MAYBE I can buy it. Affleck as Bruce Wayne is going to be a train wreck, though. It's just not his cup of tea. His best roles (Argo, The Town, Good Will Hunting) have been understated and simple. He plays a good tough guy, but kind of an idiot. This is just a horrific choice. Would loved to see Gosling or Tom Hardy (who was wasted as Bane). Even Michael Fassbender.

-Melton